Post Frame Tutorial Converting to a Barndominium

SandlandCo

Hello! I watched the Chief tutorial on post frames which helped me get my project started, but didn't quite get me all the way.  I find that I often struggle with the things that should be really simple, but turn out not to be as intuitive as one would think. In the tutorial, we build a post frame garage, and the foundation is concrete. I'm struggling with getting flooring on top of the concrete pad that was created in the tutorial. For the walls, I could simply select an exterior wall, open the object, navigate to "wall covering" and add "drywall." There is no such option for flooring. How the heck do I add a floor covering on top of the concrete slab? 

We are getting a lot of calls for Barndominiums and they are rising in popularity across the south and midwest - a full tutorial would be very helpful!

This is the tutorial I'm referring to: https://youtu.be/__X0kPQdWNs

So in Chief there is a big difference between things that are strictly cosmetic and things that are really structural elements.  You can change cosmetic things rather easily but this may not give you a correct model or an accurate material list.  For example, just painting a wall with a brick material won't actually make it a brick wall.  The dimensions probably are not going to be correct in this case.

For adding flooring on top of a concrete slab, I would add a new floor finish layer in the room specification dialog (as suggested by Gary).

For walls, I would not add drywall to a wall using a wall covering.  I always treat wall coverings as strictly cosmetic details, like wall paper or a wall paper border.  If you need to add drywall to a wall that doesn't already have it, I would do that in the "wall type definitions" dialog.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thank you both, this is very helpful info. I just migrated over from HD Pro and I'm completely overwhelmed by how much more Chief offers - and sometimes I think I make it much harder than it needs to be.