X15 Automatic Truss Framing with Upper Pitch Roof

mbblakesley

It's great to have auto truss framing, but I may have stumbled across a glitch already.

We constantly do truss roofs with an upper pitch on the roof, typically known as "split pitch" or "Dickey roof".

In X15, when the walls are set to have an upper pitch, the automatic girder trusses get confused and place themselves on the transition between the two roof pitches, instead of the set girder truss location of 96" inboard (or whatever you set it to). Would be a good feature for us if this could be fixed.

I think you are trying to rely on the auto function too much. Auto tools are never always totally accurate.

I would expect for the girder truss to locate at a change in pitch.

I use the auto functions to get close and then manually adjust as required. IMHO that seems an odd way to frame the roof.

It's a very odd way to frame a roof. The example shows how the auto-truss is laid out with both a single pitch up from the walls to the ridge, and another example showing the split pitch. Both are laid out incorrectly by the auto generated truss layout, but the example with only a single roof pitch works a little bit, the other doesn't work at all.

We'll stick to laying out trusses manually, as this new function only seems to work on a rectangle. I'd love to see how they made this roof automatically, per their ad for automatic trusses.

building-construction-features-1270x703.thumb.jpg.7fc5a0a5556599c43a3791a75357e2a7.jpg

Drag multiple copies does the same thing usually. I used a Bostich timber truss framing application with the old DOS system input in the late 80’s to design trusses for manufacturing in our family truss making plant. The more complicated the roof got the more likely you were to send it off to an engineer at head office to complete the design of girder trusses and supporting beams etc.

Chief Architect is not engineering software so trusses we build in that application should only be for a guide. I always get the truss manufactures to engineer them first and finish my drawings after importing a DWG from them first.