Schedule Question

Fotis1960

I'm a causal user so maybe I'm missing something but, on cabinet schedules it lists the cabinet as 36" including the counter top. Typically cabinets are 35". But if I use a custom counter top the cabinet is 35", which is the correct height. So on the schedule I end up with cabinets that are 35" and 36". Is there a way to set the correct height of the actual cabinet when auto counter top is checked  so all cabinets are consistent?

My other question is why isn't the Manufacture not filling in on the schedule? It shows %manufacture% which is the correct macro entered in the object information.

schedule question.pdf

I'm a causal user so maybe I'm missing something but, on cabinet schedules it lists the cabinet as 36" including the counter top. Typically cabinets are 35". But if I use a custom counter top the cabinet is 35", which is the correct height. So on the schedule I end up with cabinets that are 35" and 36". Is there a way to set the correct height of the actual cabinet when auto counter top is checked  so all cabinets are consistent?

In Chief, the cabinet "height" is always the box height plus the counter top height.  If your cabinet schedule is showing two different heights, then you have probably done something that you don't need to (like making one cabinet shorter).  You don't need to make your cabinet shorter to use a custom counter top.  If you just draw the custom counter over the top of a base cabinet the program will use your custom counter instead of creating an automatic one.  If you want your cabinet schedule to show the "box height", all you need to do is remove the "height" column and add the "box height" column.  If you actually want to build all of your cabinets at 35" instead of 36", then just set the cabinet height to be 35" and your counter top thickness to whatever you want.  If you set up your cabinet defaults this way, then it shouldn't matter whether your cabinet has an auto counter or a custom one.

My other question is why isn't the Manufacture not filling in on the schedule? It shows %manufacture% which is the correct macro entered in the object information.

You don't put %manufacturer% in the object information.  You put the actual name of the manufacturer, like "KraftMaid" or "Wellborn".  You can use %manufacturer% to extract the manufacturer name when you want to put it into a label or a custom macro.

All of this is just my best guesses, if these don't help you solve your problems, then I recommend that you post a plan (as suggested by Eric).

17 hours ago, DBCooper said:

In Chief, the cabinet "height" is always the box height plus the counter top height.  If your cabinet schedule is showing two different heights, then you have probably done something that you don't need to (like making one cabinet shorter).  You don't need to make your cabinet shorter to use a custom counter top.  If you just draw the custom counter over the top of a base cabinet the program will use your custom counter instead of creating an automatic one.  If you want your cabinet schedule to show the "box height", all you need to do is remove the "height" column and add the "box height" column.  If you actually want to build all of your cabinets at 35" instead of 36", then just set the cabinet height to be 35" and your counter top thickness to whatever you want.  If you set up your cabinet defaults this way, then it shouldn't matter whether your cabinet has an auto counter or a custom one.

You don't put %manufacturer% in the object information.  You put the actual name of the manufacturer, like "KraftMaid" or "Wellborn".  You can use %manufacturer% to extract the manufacturer name when you want to put it into a label or a custom macro.

All of this is just my best guesses, if these don't help you solve your problems, then I recommend that you post a plan (as suggested by Eric).

Thank you for the response. Using the Box height works. Just interesting to me that the schedule uses the total height (cabinet and Counter top) if its an auto counter top but only uses the box height if its a custom counter top. I think its confusing since you end up with two different heights.

As for the manufacture name, isn't the macro %manufacture% supposed to auto fill the name in the Manufacture column? Do I have to manually enter the name on every item ( every cabinet)?

Just like I thought.  So when you want to use a custom counter, you don't need to set the cabinet lower and turn off the automatic counter.  Just draw the custom counter over it.  It will replace the automatic one and it will be the shape you make it.

1 minute ago, DBCooper said:

Just like I thought.  So when you want to use a custom counter, you don't need to set the cabinet lower and turn off the automatic counter.  Just draw the custom counter over it.  It will replace the automatic one and it will be the shape you make it.

Oh, got it. I was unchecking the auto counter top and then adding the custom.

Thank you.

The %manufacture% macro just displays the info that you put into the "manufacturer" object information.  You have created an endless loop but apparently Chief already anticipated this and doesn't blow up.

So yes, you will have to manually enter the manufacturer name for all of your cabinets.  If you are using the same manufacturer for all of them, just group select them and type it in once.

There are also a whole bunch of manufacture cabinets available in the downloadable libraries.  

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/

8 minutes ago, Fotis1960 said:

As for the manufacture name, isn't the macro %manufacture% supposed to auto fill the name in the Manufacture column? Do I have to manually enter the name on every item ( every cabinet)?

You have me curious where you were expecting the manufacturer name to come from.  Can you expand on that?  Were the cabinets or their doors/drawers pulled from a specific manufacturer catalog that you were expecting would be automatically recognized by the %manufacturer% macro?

5 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

The %manufacture% macro just displays the info that you put into the "manufacturer" object information.  You have created an endless loop but apparently Chief already anticipated this and doesn't blow up.

So yes, you will have to manually enter the manufacturer name for all of your cabinets.  If you are using the same manufacturer for all of them, just group select them and type it in once.

There are also a whole bunch of manufacture cabinets available in the downloadable libraries.  

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/

The cabinets I have are from the Manufacture Catalog (Aristocraft). Chief doesn't take that info and auto populate?

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You have me curious where you were expecting the manufacturer name to come from.  Can you expand on that?  Were the cabinets or their doors/drawers pulled from a specific manufacturer catalog that you were expecting would be automatically recognized by the %manufacturer% macro?

The cabinets I have are from the Manufacture Catalog (Aristocraft). I just thought Chief uses that info to auto populate the field.

I just thought Chief uses that info to auto populate the field.

Unfortunately, not in this case.  Would be nice though.

So I just downloaded the Aristokraft library to see for myself.  All it contains is door styles, trim, and materials and not actual cabinets.  This means that you have to place a generic cabinet and convert it into a manufacturer cabinet by using these components.  When you do that, you should also go ahead and type "Aristokraft" into the manufacture field of the object info.  Basically, you need to build your own manufacturer cabinet.  

1 minute ago, Fotis1960 said:

The cabinets I have are from the Manufacture Catalog (Aristocraft). I just thought Chief uses that info to auto populate the field.

That catalog doesn't actually contain any cabinets.  What it contains are door and drawer styles as well as moldings, trim components, and wood species/finishes.  Those are simply applied to one of Chief Architect's generic cabinets.  A single cabinet can have components from any number of manufacturers.  You'll just have to manually add the manufacturer name to the cabinets as @DBCooper already mentioned.