Cleaning up brick ledges in construction drawings

OldBarnDesign

Hey Chiefers...

Based on the forum searches, it looks like I'm not the only one with issues taming brick ledges. My issues are small issues with brick ledges in construction drawings, specifically the foundation plan.

In the 3D view below, you can see I have a brick pony wall sitting on a brick ledge that looks ok, ideally the brick ledge wouldn't cut into the door casing like that, but I can live with it. My issue is in the 2D.

I've noticed on a number of projects where you have brick crashing into another wall that doesn't have brick, the brick ledge doesn't always "close off" properly in 2D. Chief doesn't draw a little line to make it nice and neat and delineate. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not, and I haven't figured out the magic. The top circle and bottom circle in the 2D image below show this. In the 3rd image I have an example of where it works and it's in the same plan. :huh:The middle circle shows the brick ledge encroaching into the doorway on one side but not the other. Again, in 3D things are consistent on both sides. I've played around with the foundation around this area and can't get it to behave in 2D. I've tweaked walls and it appears the wall intersection tool doesn't let you adjust pony walls. :(Any hints on how I can fix this? I've perused the forums and watched several of the videos posted by some of y'all on brick ledges. Still no bueno.

Thanks!

BrickLedge2.thumb.jpg.0700f9f504a845a84f9a8f4417df01a0.jpg

BrickLedge1.jpg

BrickLedge3.jpg

13 hours ago, OldBarnDesign said:

I've tweaked walls and it appears the wall intersection tool doesn't let you adjust pony walls. :(Any hints on how I can fix this?

I am not sure if this is the correct approach for brick ledges but if you want to give it a try you can adjust the display of the pony walls for upper and lower to use the wall intersection tool.

7 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I am not sure if this is the correct approach for brick ledges but if you want to give it a try you can adjust the display of the pony walls for upper and lower to use the wall intersection tool.

Thanks, I don't know either. Concerning your suggestion, the pony walls were already being shown along with the upper wall in the Wall Type DBX. When I enable the wall intersection tool, the only handles I get are to the main/upper wall.

BrickLedge5.jpg

BrickLedge4.jpg

• 6 months later...

I've had similar issues where the 2D representation doesn't match the 3D view. You could try adjusting the wall intersections manually by using the "Edit Wall Intersection" tool. It might give you more control over the brick ledge and help you achieve the desired result in 2D. Also, ensure you've checked the wall settings and alignments to ensure consistency. However, I have the same ledges in my living room as in your picture, and it doesn't look that bad. Moreover, it's easy to clean with hospital mops and equipment. Anyway, I hope that helps!