Customizing Chief's Library Symbols

Joe_Carrick

Sometimes we need to modify one of Chief's Library Symbols --- Core, Bonus, Manufacturer --- but Chief doesn't give us access to that directly.

There are 2 ways we can make such changes and have the modified Symbol available for future use:

1.  Place the Symbol in the Plan - make the changes to the Symbol dbx - Add the Symbol to the User Library.

2.  Copy the Symbol fro Chief's Library to the User Library - make the changes to the Symbol dbx directly.

The result is the same in both cases.

In some cases you might want to add more 3D objects (shapes) to the symbol.  In that case you would place Chief's Symbol in a blank plan, add the 3D objects and "Create a new Symbol".  You will need to set all the Symbol parameters in the dbx since they will not automatically be transferred from the original symbol.

Agree fully with Joe.

And the object local coordinates(xyz) should be visible and some more clear in the symbol create dbx view. If I am not missing some thing,some times I get confused rotating about an axis and fixing origion of objects.

• 2 weeks later...

Little quirk I ran into making a hood symbol using: a cabinet, pline solids and molding pline.

Sometimes when making a symbol I put in walls to simplify positioning everything. Not all objects classes treat the height off the floor the same. So if "auto adjust" is clicked , or any molding pline is used-they will move vertically when you delete the walls (which I do before finalizing the symbol) but the cabinet doesn't.