is there a method to convert a plane of a symbol into a 2D CAD block?

SHCanada2

I am looking for a CAD block for a heating element in a duct for a makeup air unit. I found a nice symbol, wall radiator towel warmer. but its 2d block is a top view.

is there a method to convert the symbol's other plane into a 2D CAD block. i.e. I want the picture below as a CAD block

thanks

image.thumb.png.16095756e3900757e3a79b3b848a3f44.png

Rotate the symbol either through the Symbol Specification dialog or in an elevation view.  You just need to make sure to either:

1. Manually click Generate Block in the Symbol Specification dialog (2D Block tab)
  2. Check Auto Generate (same location as mentioned above)
  3. Click Yes when you get the "Do you want to regenerate the 2D plan view symbol..." popup after rotating in elevation

You also may or may not want to adjust the Smoothing Angle (General tab) and/or Fill settings (2D Block tab) depending on the object.

6 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

looks like the key here is to ensure it is flat on the x,y plane

Yes.  The CAD Block is generated according to the Plan view (as viewed from the top).  For your example that would likely mean dropping the object into the plan straight out of the library, clicking Open Symbol, selecting X Axis, and clicking either Rotate+ or Rotate- (depending on which side you wanted to see).