Sign in to follow this  
NorthwestBD

How to Make Textures "Tileable"

I've looked all over for a long time trying to figure out how to make custom textures "tileable."  I have a lot of textures that would be perfect but some of them have a very obvious seam in them.  I have tried stretching etc. and for whatever reason the texture become contorted.  

I do have photoshop though I am not super familiar with how to eliminate that slight shadow gradient that is incredibly hard to avoid.  I've attached two files as an example.  One is the actual texture that I blend with a custom brown (123, 77, 43) that gives it a little more warmth.  The other image is just the result of the way that it is tiled.  I want to continue creating my own custom textures because I have had some great results from them.  Can anyone help me figure out how to eliminate these seams?

post-695-0-14053400-1394829405_thumb.jpg

post-695-0-34164800-1394829421_thumb.jpg

I've heard that the free Texture Studio does this

Lew

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Yusefun
    Newest Member
    Yusefun

• By Kbird1
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tip Added here after being found buried in a post in the Q&A Section as I thought it would be useful for Others, Thx Chopsaw.
                                                                            *I have also added some PDFs and links for GIMP.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making SEAMLESS TEXTURES using Gimp.                    * this info is in the PDF below too

It's an open source (free) photo editing software available at https://www.gimp.org

Tutorials are here : https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Direct link as of June 20th 2020 ( we then post was made) to latest version of Gimp.
      https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.10/windows/gimp-2.10.20-setup.exe

1. Open the image file in Gimp.

2. Edit > Copy, then Edit > Paste as new layer. Paste it as a new layer three times so you have a total of four copies, each on their own layer.

3. Image > Canvas Size. Exactly double the width and height of the image/canvas size.

4. Use the alignment tool to align each layer in its own corner (so they are all visible, not overlapped).

5. Use the "flip" tool to reverse/mirror three of the layers. Leave the top-left corner alone. Reverse the top-right corner horizontally. Reverse the lower-left corner vertically. Reverse the lower right corner horizontally and vertically.

6. Export the new image. This will now be a seamless texture when tiled. Choose it as the texture file for your material.

7. Adjust the scale of your new material since the size of the image is now larger.

* the Info above is in the PDF below too

SEAMLESS TEXTURES USING GIMP.pdf

I also made a PDF of the Latest Release Notes

GIMP 2.10.20 Release Notes.pdf

Mick
    • By JGSpruell
      Chief Architect + Lumion + Photoshop
    • By gelbuilding
      Like to share some material I`ve recently made.
      I have a sample renders i have done, not with CA.
      Maps included in zip file,basecolour, displacement, metallic, normal and roughness.
      Sample shots material ball and scene.
      Also calibz file so straight into CA.
      Resolution 512k

Mini_Micro.calibz

Mini_Micro_H&W_512x512_textures.7z
    • By OnlineBuilder
      I've got a few nice ones. But Im after some good grass ones and siding for wide boards. 

Also, does anyone know how to modify a Normal Map? I'm trying to stretch the weatherboard N to make the boards look wider, but modifying the shape doesn't have any effect. I'm using a very wide board (James Hardie Stria) but all the bump maps are made for very skinny boards.