Best way to create gable end parapet walls in Chief Architect ?

mthd97

Hi, I am curious to know how some CA power users go about creating gable end pediments or parapet walls and then cap or decorate them with various treatments ?

Is there a fast and efficient way to do them ? 

I have seen an official Chief Architect webinar that shows a method about half way through but they don’t exactly explain how they created the triangular wall tops that go higher than the roof.

Did they create attic walls and then edit them in a cross section view or did they use a different method ?

What method to do find is best for you ?

25 minutes ago, mthd97 said:

Did they create attic walls and then edit them in a cross section view or did they use a different method ?

Yes it appears that is what they did in the video but no mention of water proofing. :(

The roof planes control the wall tops and pitch nicely and provide options for water proofing. :)

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Like this ?

Not really looking for another cherry but if you want any flashing options with your parapets I think this would work fine.

Yes that’s what I am talking about, a rendered smooth surface . I have also seen S Nestor’s excellent video that he did on creating what some call a “federal gable” end building. He used roof planes as a capping and changed the material into concrete with the spray can icon. 

Will an actual wall capping profile work on top of a sloping wall instead of a roof plane ?

Has anyone managed to add other decorative treatments to the edges and faces of these high gable ends and pediments ?

Yes a flashing is important and it appears that using a roof plane to cap the ends can produce that result ?

In this excellent official video, Scott demonstrates a flat roof parapet and he caps these level walls with a profile.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1530/drawing-parapet-walls-with-a-flat-roof.html?playlist=95

Will this work on a triangular sloping wall and is there another way to add flashing where the roof buts up to the gable end without using roof planes ?

Edited by mthd97
Update

10 minutes ago, mthd97 said:

Will an actual wall capping profile work on top of a sloping wall instead of a roof plane ?

Sure but you will need to snap to a cad line like in the CA video and what material is the wall cap representing ?

10 minutes ago, mthd97 said:

Yes a flashing is important and it appears that using a roof plane to cap the ends can produce that result ?

Yes you can always use moldings and such but why not use the tools we are all familiar with but in a different way.

Give it a try and you may end up teaching us something.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I will definitely give your suggestions a try with X10 and see what I can actually produce  ?

No I wouldn’t teach you Chief Masters anything as I am still back at X10 but I am surprised at how more flexible Chief has become.

I tried for an hour to get the gable parapet walls to produce correctly and I tried a couple of methods but the walls did not model correctly just yet.

First I peeled back the gable roof and the automatic gable end wall in the attic space disappeared. I then extended the bottom ground floor wall up into the attic space and then tried to break the top of the wall but my break tool wouldn’t show up on the screen.

So I abandoned that method and I drew a wall in the attic space and I was able to break it and shape it into a triangle but the wall didn’t look right in its connecting to the bottom wall. I could not get the wall capping to work on that attic wall because it was greyed out and not available for that wall type.

I think I will take a close look at that entertaining video made by DS Hall and see if I can’t get it to work. I will post his video method below for those who might be interested in his fine method ?

https://youtu.be/W13WXMGjMys

My results. Wow ! I even got bonus edge routing on the inner side of my gable wall, please see the first picture below.

I will have to use a molding polyline to get capping and other treatments. I could use roof planes to cap the wall ?

Gable Prapet Routed edges.pdf Gable Prapet other side.pdf

I am not sure what caused the routing of the gable wall on the inside face at the ends ? Is it the gable roof base lines or is it something else ?

Edit: Routing on the edges are from the gable wall being checked as attic wall. When unchecked it disappears but I had to lengthen the wall on each end by approximately 4 inches. Please see 3rd picture below.

Gable Prapet not routed edges.pdf

Edited by mthd97
More info