Editing imported symbols via STL file

PMMully

I have been given some 3D symbols in the STL format that I would like to modify after importing for a 3D printer project. After reviewing the help files I am not seeing something an option to explode or edit a symbol outside of a resize (with or without aspect ratio). Am I missing something in CA to do this?

I was able to trace it and recreate the symbol, make my mods, play with the polyline solids, and export as an STL. I was also able to create a part and export via DWG. The accuracy was fine in both cases when it was sent to a CNC or 3D printer/slicer.  If anyone using CA for light-duty part prototyping and manufacturing? I saw some posts from 2019 about floor plans being 3D printed which looked pretty cool. I am looking to only  make very simple parts, not floorplans, nor complex assemblies like gearsets, etc. Just trying to cut down on a learning curve if I can, otherwise I will look into SolidWorks.

1 hour ago, PMMully said:

I have been given some 3D symbols in the STL format that I would like to modify after importing for a 3D printer project. After reviewing the help files I am not seeing something an option to explode or edit a symbol outside of a resize (with or without aspect ratio). Am I missing something in CA to do this?

Yes CA is more suited to original creations.  Unfortunately symbol creation is a one way street with the exception of changing materials or adding something on to the existing.  You can work with the delete surfaces tool in a pinch but it is rather crude as tools go.  Most of what I have modeled I keep in a dedicated plan file or block the assemblies to store in the library for future use or modification.  I am sure that CA has been used to design quite a few unique things that you would never expect.  I have done a few myself.

• Like 1