Not sure how to make this gable entry work?

PMMully

Hi all, I have a test plan where I am trying out the various ways to make gable/hip entry roof mixtures on porches. I have two questions:

1) I have made gable entries using the gable tool with a single room, as well as multiple rooms via invisible walls, so far both ways are successful overall using come custom ceiling planes. Wondering if there are any far reaching pros/cons of either method?

2) I have also made one version that is single room, and follows a pattern in a  video done by@SNestoron X11, so I know it works. I just can not get the Post2Beam roof soffit/wall section to generate correctly. I looked at many settings and videos but I can not put my finger on the fix. I believe there is a setting that controls this (I tried the roof returns also)? I realize his full video has other compoents like attic walls, custom ceiling planes to finish it, but his plan generates the soffits just fine. Not sure what I am missing.

Screenshot 2022-09-06 161553.png

GableEntryGames.plan

Using railing walls set to "Post to beam" works for simple porches but where you need more control over the posts or columns, I often just set the "Newels" to zero inches and then manually place my columns of posts from the LB - Millwork -Columns. The point is getting a product and not, as much what you did to achieve it IMHO.

DJP

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Using railing walls set to "Post to beam" works for simple porches but where you need more control over the posts or columns, I often just set the "Newels" to zero inches and then manually place my columns of posts from the LB - Millwork -Columns. The point is getting a product and not, as much what you did to achieve it IMHO.

DJP

Being fairly new in comparison to many of you on this forum, many times I test CA, or myself... because I am learning the boundaries.. Once I learn a boundary, I figure out how to navigate around it. This is why I ask a lot of "best practice" questions. I am also exploring how far I can push the CA schedules and material take off tools.

I never would have even thought to set the newels to zero inches. That is a great tip!