CAD block snaps to one side but not the other

SHCanada2

for existing houses, I have the need to show a dimensioned parking stall on an existing survey(brought into CA as a image) which *should be* 10'x20', but sometimes there is not enough existing driveway so sometimes it is 10x19'6 or it is a half trapezoid to match the curb or sidewalk.

so i was trying to create a CAD block with dimensions, but that doesnt work as it looks like the dimensions get converted to CAD (makes sense). So then I tried a CAD block with just the pline and a text box as a block, but when i save it to the library or copy and paste it from the CAD detail window onto a plan, i can only snap dimension to one side, but it looks like in a CAD detail window it snaps to both sides.

I see there is a thread requesting snapping to objects in the CAD block, 

but this seems like a different issue. i.e. why can i snap to both sides in a CAD detail window but not in plan view? and why can i snap to the "first" side of the pline I choose?

I have ended up creating a pline in my template plan in a CAD detail  and having the dimensions around it, but it is a bit of a PIA to shift select, copy and try and  move it, resize it to an exact location on the plan.

Anyway I'm just wondering if I am missing a simpler way to do it, and if the behaviour between the CAD detail window and the plan view is "expected"

Thanks