SCANING TO 3D MODEL

Danielle_AZL

22 hours ago, Danielle_AZL said:

Hello,

I have come across a lot of matterport ads, but it does not seem to work well with CA without a lot of converting of files. What do other CA users use that is an alternative to matterport?

Matterport is pretty neat but since its a photogrammetry tool, it's not really a Chief friendly format.  Photogrammetry makes a 3d Scene by pulling 3d data out of picture/video scans and can get pretty neat results but if the camera can't see an area, it has nothing to pull the 3d data from.  You can get full 3d scenes and objects with photogrammetry tools but you'd have to be sure that you get all angles and views accounted for so the tools can get the most fleshed out scene possible and even then, there's usually a few snags. 

This isn't a matterport specific issue, it's just how photogrammetry works so any tool that relies on cameras to pull its 3D Data will have the same limitations.  I've played around with some of the tools myself for fun and they do some neat stuff, but if you are looking for something you can plop into Chief without a lot of file work, it's not really a 1 to 1 transfer just by its nature. 

I did talk to one user that had good luck with some 360 Leica scanners that he plopped into Chief and used as a guide for as-builts, he still had to use Chief tools to draw over the scanned geometry but it worked for him.  The imported geo was on its own layer to toggle as the "before" then his Chief made model as the "after" so all he needed the scan for was as a preview and reference so he didn't need to do any heavy lifting with it.

If you take the plunge into photogrammetry, let me know.  I always think this stuff is super neat and like to see what people do with it.

1 hour ago, CADustin said:

Matterport is pretty neat but since its a photogrammetry tool, it's not really a Chief friendly format.  Photogrammetry makes a 3d Scene by pulling 3d data out of picture/video scans and can get pretty neat results but if the camera can't see an area, it has nothing to pull the 3d data from.  You can get full 3d scenes and objects with photogrammetry tools but you'd have to be sure that you get all angles and views accounted for so the tools can get the most fleshed out scene possible and even then, there's usually a few snags. 

This isn't a matterport specific issue, it's just how photogrammetry works so any tool that relies on cameras to pull its 3D Data will have the same limitations.  I've played around with some of the tools myself for fun and they do some neat stuff, but if you are looking for something you can plop into Chief without a lot of file work, it's not really a 1 to 1 transfer just by its nature. 

I did talk to one user that had good luck with some 360 Leica scanners that he plopped into Chief and used as a guide for as-builts, he still had to use Chief tools to draw over the scanned geometry but it worked for him.  The imported geo was on its own layer to toggle as the "before" then his Chief made model as the "after" so all he needed the scan for was as a preview and reference so he didn't need to do any heavy lifting with it.

If you take the plunge into photogrammetry, let me know.  I always think this stuff is super neat and like to see what people do with it.

On 7/20/2022 at 2:01 PM, Danielle_AZL said:

Hello,

I have come across a lot of matterport ads, but it does not seem to work well with CA without a lot of converting of files. What do other CA users use that is an alternative to matterport?

I use matterport quite often and feel it is a better product than the competition but is most likely due to the scans I have used are from an actual matterport camera so the scans are higher quality than a simple lidar scanner.  Canvas is another product and even though I will probably get a downvote from the Canvas rep who is on here quite often I do not recommend it as I have yet to receive a good canvas scan out of about 15 different ones now.

With Matterport you can get the matterpack and import it into chief as a symbol and use an overhead camera view and slice to slice down to the floor and then you can trace over like a pdf.  You can use the matterport scan viewer to reference key dimensions to get the model as close as possible though which is helpful but as Dustin mentions it is only as good as the scan and scan areas visibility.

BTW:

On 7/20/2022 at 2:08 PM, solver said:

@Danielle_AZL

Please check your messages -- envelope icon top of page.

Symbols and Content is where you "Post links to and discuss your symbols, textures, or other Chief-related items here and share them with other Chief Architect users."

Questions about other software are best in Chatroom.

Please help keep the forum clean and organized by deleting the thread via Moderator Actions at the top of the page and repost there.

Thanks

What Erick is saying is very key to helping the forum continue to be an amazing source.  This is not the correct area to post this question.  It should be in Q&A or chatroom.  Maybe @CADustin @Dermot or another Chief mod can move this to the right forum for you?