GPU settings for Color Saturation

Joe_Carrick

I got this from Larry Hawes in one of the other forums.  I thought it might be useful information for anyone having troubles with the Colors on some displays when using RTX GPUs.

Basically, the color saturation can be way off the charts when using the RTRT on certain monitors.

In my case I am using a 55" 4K TV as my main display with an NVidea RTX 2060.  Whenever I selected to use a RTRT the color saturation was too strong and so I reverted to Standard rendering and a CPU Ray Trace.  It really made me wonder why I spent all that money for a relatively expensive GPU.

After reading the attached article I downloaded and installed the suggested fix for the NVidea GPU.  Now my RTRT looks a lot better.

I sincerely hope this helps anyone who is having similar problems.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/m15-R5-QHD-screen-is-oversaturated-and-too-vibrant/td-p/7900509

Thank you Larry.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:13 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

I got this from Larry Hawes in one of the other forums.  I thought it might be useful information for anyone having troubles with the Colors on some displays when using RTX GPUs.

Basically, the color saturation can be way off the charts when using the RTRT on certain monitors.

In my case I am using a 55" 4K TV as my main display with an NVidea RTX 2060.  Whenever I selected to use a RTRT the color saturation was too strong and so I reverted to Standard rendering and a CPU Ray Trace.  It really made me wonder why I spent all that money for a relatively expensive GPU.

After reading the attached article I downloaded and installed the suggested fix for the NVidea GPU.  Now my RTRT looks a lot better.

I sincerely hope this helps anyone who is having similar problems.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/m15-R5-QHD-screen-is-oversaturated-and-too-vibrant/td-p/7900509

Thank you Larry.

Nice Joe, so glad that helped. I've been searching through that article for the exact download solution and can't seem to find a specific link. Got one to share? Thanks.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Nice Joe, so glad that helped. I've been searching through that article for the exact download solution and can't seem to find a specific link. Got one to share? Thanks.

Nvidia doesn’t include a similar feature in their graphics drivers, but the Nvidia desktop GPU and driver pipeline does actually include a ‘hidden feature’ that works in a very similar way. A tool called ‘novideo_srgb’ can be downloaded here and is discussed in this Reddit thread. Download the latest ‘release.zip’ file and extract the contents to a destination of your choice. Run ‘novideo_srgb.exe’ (Microsoft Defender SmartScreen may flag this as an unrecognised file initially) and click the ‘Clamped’ checkbox. The same EDID data read by the AMD alternative is used and the resulting gamut is extremely similar. The corrections apply universally, including to full screen games and other applications and should apply until you re-open the tool and remove the clamp.

8 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Nvidia doesn’t include a similar feature in their graphics drivers, but the Nvidia desktop GPU and driver pipeline does actually include a ‘hidden feature’ that works in a very similar way. A tool called ‘novideo_srgb’ can be downloaded here and is discussed in this Reddit thread. Download the latest ‘release.zip’ file and extract the contents to a destination of your choice. Run ‘novideo_srgb.exe’ (Microsoft Defender SmartScreen may flag this as an unrecognised file initially) and click the ‘Clamped’ checkbox. The same EDID data read by the AMD alternative is used and the resulting gamut is extremely similar. The corrections apply universally, including to full screen games and other applications and should apply until you re-open the tool and remove the clamp.

Thanks for the clarification Joe. Will make time to download and experiment.