PBR Ray Trace what did I miss?

DanielleDubuc

Hi everybody! I am trying to render PBR views with my new Alienware X17 laptop. I had a look in the forum and listened to this video "https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2426/physically-based-rendering-technique.html"

The video mentions a "Use Ray Tracing"  tick box that should be in the  "Rendering Techniques Options" window.  But I couldn't find that and there is no mention of the Ray Tracing in the Video Card Status of the Preferences. My graphic card is an Nvidia RTX 3080. It's supposed to support real time Ray Tracing. Can someone tell me how to fix this please?

Thanks in advance!

Danielle

• DanielleDubuc changed the title to PBG Ray Trace what did I miss?
  • DanielleDubuc changed the title to PBR Ray Trace what did I miss?

It sounds like your Laptop is not using the 3080 for Chief and is instead using the Intel iGPU , show us a screen grab of the Preferences , V.Status tab

to confirm.

I think Eric has pointed you in the right direction to get the 3080 working...

M.

OK, so I had a look on how to force Chief to use a specific video card and I tried that and rebooted the laptop. But it seams that it was already using the Nvidia RTX 3080. (See picture)

The problem is that there is no box to tick in the "rendering technique options" window to activate the Ray Trace it is like mentioned in the video "PBR technique" video. And I don't see the "Hardware Ray tracing" line in the Preferences window either.

Here is what I see on my screen in the rendering technique options window Preferences and compare of what is illustrated in the PBR technique video.

Thanks again!

Danielle

invisible Ray trace box tech .jpg

video tech.jpg

Pref-invisible Ray trace box .jpg

video pref.jpg

8 minutes ago, solver said:

The video is using X13, X12 is different and does not support the new RTRT for PBR.

X12 only has the Original PBR View X13 has the RT- PBR View

If you have SSA ? X13 is a free upgrade and should be in your Digital Locker for download.

It looks like your Nvidia Drivers are badly out dated as version 511.79 is the most current from about a week ago

and it supposedly helps some with Issues in X13 with 3000 Series Cards. See my Topic below....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-drivers-updated/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-261659

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

X12 only has the Original PBR View X13 has the RT- PBR View

If you have SSA ? X13 is a free upgrade and should be in your Digital Locker for download.

It looks like your Nvidia Drivers are badly out dated as version 511.79 is the most current from about a week ago

and it supposedly helps some with Issues in X13 with 3000 Series Cards. See my Topic below....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-drivers-updated/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-261659

Hahaha! Kbird1, you got the point! So I spent a few hours trying to fix a non existing problem! :D It might be a good idea if Chief added a note about which versions the videos are about. This would save users some time. ;) I didn't find that information anywhere, not even beside the Chief logo on top of the video window.

I have SSA yes, but I was hesitating to upgrade because of those issues with the 3000 video cards. I have my laptop since January, I will update the drivers. And since you say that this will fix the card issues, I will upgrade to X13. And find the Ray trace check box!

Thanks for the link about the drivers, I only have to find the right version now!

Thanks to all of you for your help guys !

48 minutes ago, DanielleDubuc said:

I have SSA yes, but I was hesitating to upgrade because of those issues with the 3000 video cards. I have my laptop since January, I will update the drivers. And since you say that this will fix the card issues, I will upgrade to X13. And find the Ray trace check box!

*** Hold on there.......The Drivers may not help on win10, people have issues including myself, but as yet Chief has not been able to figure out why ...or at least aint tell us. 

You can run X13 and X12 on the same system though with no issues, so worth a try :) ...perhaps your luck is better than mine or others.... 

48 minutes ago, DanielleDubuc said:

Thanks for the link about the drivers, I only have to find the right version now!

For notebooks/laptops this one......

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/187099/en-us

*** and YMMV in regards to X13 since you have Win10 , this driver is helping some on Win 11 though.

I too have noticed many of the new Videos no  longer show the Version of Chief in Use....

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

*** Hold on there.......The Drivers may not help on win10, people have issues including myself, but as yet Chief has not been able to figure out why ...or at least aint tell us. 

You can run X13 and X12 on the same system though with no issues, so worth a try :) ...perhaps your luck is better than mine or others.... 

OK! So I will take the chance to install X13 and hope for the best! :D

Thanks again!