Faster way to edit an imported symbol?

bdillard1

Hello,

I imported this nice symbol for a shower - https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/1d41e5de2d0d62249ab765831d580703/shower 

Unfortunately, while I can modify the height of the symbol, I'd like a slim window over the shower so I can only go so far.    I'd like to move or delete the shower head but using delete surface (the way I'm trying to) is quite a chore as you have to delete every single item - e.g. shower water hole one by one.   Is there a way to select an area when deleting surfaces or can I some how move the shower head up about a foot?

If you experiment with changing the "Smoothing Angle" of the symbol it can allow you to more efficiently delete surfaces to create a modified symbol.

If you want to do something like move an embedded shower head then you need to delete every single surface with the exception of the shower head and create an independent symbol from it so it can be positioned any where you like.

Apparently if you have the time to learn another program, Sketchup has some more efficient tools for editing their symbols.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bdillard1 said:

Hello,

I imported this nice symbol for a shower - https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/1d41e5de2d0d62249ab765831d580703/shower 

Unfortunately, while I can modify the height of the symbol, I'd like a slim window over the shower so I can only go so far.    I'd like to move or delete the shower head but using delete surface (the way I'm trying to) is quite a chore as you have to delete every single item - e.g. shower water hole one by one.   Is there a way to select an area when deleting surfaces or can I some how move the shower head up about a foot?

This particular symbol really should not be used. You will run into way too many problems trying to conform it.
Also, this question should be in General Q&A. This forum is for sharing symbols really.
FYI we can build a shower like this in under a minute with the right know-how and have it be dynamic, schedule reporting, parametric and more when you learn the tools that we have.
For other symbols that need modification, chopsaw gave a great solution.

• Upvote 1