Automatic door at stairwell

msmith964

Hello,

I keep having an issue that when i create a stairwell opening, CA puts a door at the top of the stairs. When I try and delete the door, it deletes the stairwell opening. How do I stop this from happening? I have attached a photo. i have deleted all components of the door but it still shows posts on each side of the doorway.

I also can't get the wall caps on my railing walls to connect at the corner. Any suggestions?

I am using latest version of CA.

Thanks!

Photo 1.jpg

I usually just enlarge the doorway manually until it looks correct.  Maybe someone else has another way ?

The wall cap may need to be replaced with a manual molding if the wall intersection tool does not help the problem.

"When I try and delete the door, it deletes the stairwell opening."

I don't think you deleted the doorway.  I think you deleted the actual railing.  As a result, you lost your room definition which meant that your room was no longer a stairwell (or open below).

If your stair has the "Automatic Rail Openings" option turned on (under the style panel of the stair dialog), it will automatically create a doorway in the railing.  You can turn this option off, and you won't get an opening in the railing but you will still have a railing across the top of your stair so I don't think this will help you solve your problem.

You can manually edit the doorway to make it large enough so that you won't get that extra piece (as suggested by Chopsaw).  Or, you could make the railing invisible (as suggested by Jacob) although this will affect the whole railing so in some situations you will need to break the railing first.  

This might also be the result of an alignment problem.  If your capped stair wall is not properly aligned with your wall on your upper floor or your stair is not actually aligned with the wall, you could see some problems like this.  Sometimes just making sure everything is properly aligned can make little problems like this go away. 

As for the wall cap miter, you may be able to correct this with a wall break to force the cap to go horizontal before the miter but you might just need to manually fill in a piece to cover the hole.  

In both cases, I don't think this will always work perfectly since you have some unusual angled intersections.  You might want to submit a report to tech support and include this plan so that we can look into this more to see if we can make any improvements.

• Upvote 1