Chief Architect and cloud backup

TriDiWorx

Go to solution Solved by MoeGia,

Hi,

Was reading around the forum and found out that some people are using cloud services to work out of folders that are backed up.

I have a PC and a laptop and want to sync chief files and settings so I can use same things with same settings on both devices.

So I wanted to try this cloud stuff out. I wanted to create one folder that is backed up by OneDrive. I created this folder to my documents folder.

I installed chief core there and moved my plans, data, library and system library folders. So my chief core folders were also in my documents folder.

I changed folder locations in chief preferences also and moved some files to new folders manually as chief told that they will not be moved automatically.

As I understand that hotkeys, toolbars and other settings are stored in core installation folder not in data folder. When I moved from other windows installation with only data folder then all my settings were lost.

So with this setup my chief opens and works. Plans open and work. BUT.... for some reason ALL camera views open empty. Completely empty. The window is grey. For example when I open 3D camera view without backdrop then I see a house on a white background. This time the window was grey like the view is not only far away, but is not actually there.

If I reinstall chief to default location then all views open again.

Can someone suggest why this might happen or what to try? Cant I install core files in my documents folder?

And please do not suggest hardware compatibility and driver issues. All is compatible and up to date. In fact mostly my hardware on PC is at least "recommended" or above.

Folders.png

• Solution

Chief's default location is 'My Documents'.  It seems you can just tell OneDrive to backup that folder.

If you want the files only in OneDrive, create a Chief folder there.  Install Chief to its default location.  Copy your files from My Docs to the new file.  Open Chief and go to Preferences, locations (not at my work computer for exact names).  Redirect Chief to look in the new location.  Close the program and reopen.  Chief will find the files in your new location.  I chose to put all the library files in my Library Database folder to keep reinstalls or moving files easier.

Here's my OneDrive setup.

Chief OneDrive.png