Pole Building with a Studio Apartment - Room within a Room

contractcad

I'm running into difficulty creating a studio apartment with a mezzanine storage area above that is to placed at one end of a pole barn.  I've tried using the shelf ceiling feature in the room structure dialogue that kinda gets me there but for me to make a deck above I right now have to create one manually using a shape and then specify it's material for a subfloor.  I also have problems when I create partition walls in the studio area the program creates errant attic walls automatically in the attic area above which is not acceptable.

I've also tried making a second story above the studio area and when I do I start getting drywall up to the barn roof that I don't want either.

This 3D view is showing how I've laid out my plan, Tan Pole Barn is the existing original, 1st Blue barn is the addition the customer is adding which I've already fleshed out with the foundation and most of the framing (except around doors and windows). I don't have the old and new tied together because of previous problems of walls and gable ends making strange extensions and disappearing act when I attempted to do so, I'm just going to stitch together plan and elevation views within the layout to get the results I want.

3rd partial blue barn is just a partial copy to place and layout the interior studio, and that's the one where I'm getting the problems.  I'm not going to have the studio shown in my main barn addition layout to keep the barn structure construction separate from the studio buildout.

OA Plan Layout.jpg

These 3 pictures show the area of the full barn where the studio is going to be placed, the studio placed in the partial barn using the shelf ceiling option, and finally the bizarreness I'm getting when attempting to add the mezzanine using the 2nd floor option.  It seems to be attempting to add a ghost floor in between my 1st and 2nd floor. 

Studio Area.jpg

Studio Located View (using shelf cieling).jpg

2nd floor option.jpg

I guess nevermind, for some strange reason it seemed to work for me this time.  I'm not sure what I did different (except for it not being 11 o'clock at night) but it appears for now I'm getting the result I want.

But the day is not over yet.

Seemed to work.jpg

• 1 month later...