Auto Place Outlets - Defaults to comply with Local Electrical Code

KDsnyder

Kurt, I don't think such setting exist, but, even if there was one, it is easier just to place the receptacles CA thinks the room needs and then adjust them to meet your code. Meeting the minimum code requirements may not necessarily be what one needs for outlet placement in a room, unless no design is needed the rule of thumb is to place the first outlet 6ft from the door and then space the rest 12ft o.c. Any wall spaces that are at least 2ft will also take one receptacle. Receptacles over 60" high don't count. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm an electrical contractor.  I use CA for electrical design, meet with the owners and wire the houses according to the drawings.  

Jorgearaya gave you accurate advice.

The "6 ft Rule" is used as a bare minimum for outlet placement.  If I were designing a spec home or apartment, I'd use that rule.

For custom homes, I place all the furniture and design the electrical and lighting based on furniture and cabinet layouts.  

• Upvote 2

Thank you both for your feed back. Electromen you hit the nail on the head. That's typically how I design as well. I guess what I'm after is being able to quickly click all the rooms with the outlets and know they meet code at the locations CA dropped them. Then as I dimension the drawing (after having drilled into the details in areas like kitchen, offices, built-ins ect) I won't need to waste time adjusting every single outlet in that room. It was a curiosity I had while drawings and figured I'd pose it here. I've been surprised over the years as to the tricks CA has built in that I didn't even know about until someone mentioned it here. Thanks again!