How to stop auto adjusting wall edges...

When I place a window/door/etc. on a wall and type in the dimensions, sometimes it will move the edge of the wall instead of moving the window along the wall. (ie: if I have a 20' wall with a window on it, I want the length between the corner and the window to be 4'... instead of moving the window over on the wall, it will just extend the edge of the wall out past its original point so it's now 24'). Please help!! I'm not sure how to look up this issue so if there's a video on it already please direct me there!

You just have to make sure you have the correct object selected.  Chief will move or resize the object that is selected.  It sounds like you were just inadvertently selecting the wall instead of the window.

Just to add to what Michael has said...

You can usually tell which object is selected by looking at the edit handles and highlighting.  If you are having trouble telling which object is selected, look at the status bar and it should tell you what is selected (either "Wall" or "Window" in this case).

The dimensions can represent multiple objects and in this case they show can show the wall length along with the window size and position.  The only way the program knows which object you want to modify is based on which object is currently selected.

If the window is selected, the program will adjust either the window position or size depending on which dimension you select.  

If the wall is selected, the program will adjust the wall length based on the dimension you have selected.

Here are some videos that might also help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5487/drawing-and-placing-objects.html?playlist=81

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/67/door-window-basics.html?playlist=138

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5429/positioning-walls-precisely-using-dimensions.html

window dimensions.png

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SPID2020
    Newest Member
    SPID2020

• By Jackstacey
      I'm having issues getting two joining external walls to have different materials and meet on the external corner ( pebble dash and brick) . I've checked my intersections and their mitered correctly and if i select ' through end/start' in structural for the wall it just shifts the issue to the adjoining wall. Please help? 
    • By stevenyhof
      I have watched the video of ChiefSkills by Steve Nestor, "DORMERS - Auto and Manual Types"
      Trying to use the idea there to cut my walls out of the living space. I think you called it "Cheek Walls".
      See the real picture and the angled ceiling. That is what I am trying to do.
      Any thoughts?

SND1823 Klinke Residence.plan

• By hamedDesighn
      How to fix wall length Or lock the wall dimention so they don't change .
      i would be thankful if somebody help .

• By TCDLLC
      Hi, I am a Revit user converting to Chief. 
      When working with angled walls in Chief, I have not been able to lock a wall from moving when changing dimensions on connecting walls. 
      I am familiar with how to use the directional tools to move an end of an object to adjust its dimensions.
      When angled walls are off-angle, I can waste significant time adjusting the lengths of the angled walls and still not achieve the dimensions I need for all connecting walls.

The use case scenario is when I am drafting a plan using dimensions provided to me to create the build.  
      Of course, if I was creating a plan from scratch, I could probably avoid this situation.  

Any suggestions?
    • By mattradk
      I am using CAX6 and am trying to get the exterior dimensions of a residential structure to reach to the extent just under the siding. From inside to outside, the exterior wall should have 1/2" wallboard, 2x6 stud walls, 1/2" OSB, 2" rigid insulation, and then siding for which I've allowed 1/2". All of the wall components will sit on the platform except for the siding, which should cover the rim joists.

I believe I have the correct dialog box and selections to do it (or maybe not …. see attached screen shot). However, after I make the selections in the Wall Type Definitions dialog box and back out of the dialog boxes leading there, I find that the cross section is incorrect, and the outside of the siding is flush with the platform. If I return to the Wall Type Definitions dialog box to find out why, I find that my selections have not been saved.

I'm careful to make sure that I back out of each dialog box correctly (Clicking OK, OK, Done, etc.) but the changes I make are not saved.

There's probably something I need to select or conditions I have to meet, but darned if I can figure them out after hours of messing with it.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks!