Pattern Changes 90 Degrees From Reg Camera To Elevation

Cheryl_C_Crane

This played with my head for quite some time until making this little experimental plan.

Notice that the pattern for the Soldier Course Brick on the window exterior molding changes between an Elevation and a 3D Camera. I was working in 3-D & Plan views. To this I added soldier course banding around the building. Went to do elevations and got a surprise. Changed all the Materials on the Window Moldings to do Elevations. Then,  decided on a Prospective full overview for Page 1 of the drawings. UGLY & I thought that I was going nuts. 

Have you experienced this with Soldier Course Brick? It's the same with other colors of brick, too.

CCC Brick Soldier course window.zip

post-72-0-11976800-1416079972_thumb.png

post-72-0-16013000-1416079989_thumb.png

Come on CC,  you are dealing with two different things in your two pictures,  and Alan eluded to it. In one view you are looking at the texture,  in the other you are looking at the pattern,  totally different.  Just rotate the pattern or the texture 90 degrees and it will make sense.

Come on DShall, you didn't take notice that in the materials list there is BOTH a Red(x) Course & a Red(x) Course - Horiz material. Silly Rabbit! 

Alan is right with the work around, its what I used.

BUT, I feel that the great & helpful folks at CA need to know that this problem exists and should NOT require a work around.

Come on DShall, you didn't take notice that in the materials list there is BOTH a Red(x) Course & a Red(x) Course - Horiz material. Silly Rabbit! 

Alan is right with the work around, its what I used.

BUT, I feel that the great & helpful folks at CA need to know that this problem exists and should NOT require a work around.

Now I get what you were saying.  Yeah,  I agree,  a little confusing.  Here is a solution,  and I do not know if it is a workaround.  You need to create a THIRD MATERIAL called BRICK HORIZ 2,  copied from BRICK HORIZ,  and then you will rotate the PATTERN and not the TEXTURE,  and all will be well.   Actually you might have to create a FOURTH material from BRICK,  and only rotate the PATTERN and not the TEXTURE

Here is a test to visually understand what is going on.  Create (3) slabs,  48" thick,  and apply one of the 3 materials to each of them and then flip back between render view and vector view.  They all behave differently.  Look at the 2 pictures and compare the render views vs the vector views......  BTW,  I did not create the FOURTH material,  but if I did,  I bet we would see something else that was different.

CC,  this was a great  post on your part.  I always thought I need two textures,  one being a rotation of the other.  But in reality,  to cover all bases we need FOUR different materials to cover all bases,  with varying combinations of either the texture being rotated or not.

This is really a function of what you are applying the material to.  Is it a PSOLID,  or a SLAB,  or a PSOLID DRAWN IN ELEVATION,  or is it a MOLDING.

Thanks CC.

post-50-0-67290700-1416159196_thumb.png

I don't run into this problem much,  but once in awhile I do.  This was a good post CC.  I don't think it is something CA can help,  if you think about it,  if they fix it for one specific situation,  it will not be correct for another situation.  

My brain is fried.....  I can not even begin to explain this in words,  but I can visually imagine the issues.

Very Good Demo, Scott.

I feel very lucky for 2 things. 1. I've been with CA a long time and with each rev only had to learn & unlearn from my base knowledge. 2 CA's Team members kept me out of learning the fundamentals of wire frames, skins, stretch planes, etc. With just my limited knowledge, I could produce a decent product.

This is an example, where I'd hate to be new! Hopefully, others will be able to glean help from the thread and your demonstration. What I'd love to avoid is someone futzing with this for hours.