stevenyhof

Roof Skylight - Ceiling Hole Missing

The problem is the tray ceiling. See how it creates a ceiling plane for that entire space.

You need a wall that is not invisible dividing the kitchen. Use a doorway in the wall stretched full height and full width to make the wall look like it's not there.

I've sent this in to Chief, but encourage you to do so as well.

• Like 1

I downloaded your plan and tried moving the skylight, deleting the skylight and then make a new one, none of that worked. I then tried drawing a "Hole in the ceiling platform" polyline on top of the skylight and that did not work. I then drew a "Hole in the ceiling platform" polyline by itself and that did not work. I then placed a "Room Divider Wall" to separate the Kitchen from the Great Room, deleted and replaced the trey ceiling and deleted and replaced the skylight and still NO results (no hole in the ceiling). So my conclusion is that this is a corrupted plan that should be submitted to Tech Support to see what is what. I am sorry.

DJP

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you Sir! I will do that

Or you could just start over being careful to separate all rooms as necessary before placing skylights and trey ceilings, your choice.

DJP

11 minutes ago, solver said:

The problem is the tray ceiling. See how it creates a ceiling plane for that entire space.

You need a wall that is not invisible dividing the kitchen. Use a doorway in the wall stretched full height and full width to make the wall look like it's not there.

I've sent this in to Chief, but encourage you to do so as well.

Eric did you get a positive result when you placed the room divider wall? I have never seen such results before myself.

DJP

Just now, DavidJPotter said:

Or you could just start over being careful to separate all rooms as necessary before placing skylights and trey ceilings, your choice.

DJP

I did have the tray over the dining and living at first, then removed a opening that separated the kitchen, that made one large room. I pulled the tray over the kitchen with the cleint, he did not like that so pulled it back. So I have had some messing with it. I will remove the tray and start again and see if that works.

I drew the wall and then deleted the trey and skylight and then placed them again in a new unit of time with no positive results.

DJP

Just now, DavidJPotter said:

I drew the wall and then deleted the trey and skylight and then placed them again in a new unit of time with no positive results.

DJP

I see

I got the same thing after rebuilding and adding a divider, added a new tray, then new skylight - no hole in ceiling

You might try deleting the trey and then place the room divider wall. delete the skylight-replace the skylight and then replace the trey.

DJP

I kind of figured it out. When I add a divide wall between the great room and the kitchen, I can select the great room only. Nice. Then I add the tray ceiling... and while the try is placed where it should be in the great room, the outer line of the tray against the wall, passes through the divide wall and into the kitchen, covering up the skylight. When I add a standard wall between the kitchen and the great room and add the tray, it works perfectly and the skylight hole is there. So something is messed up with the divide wall and the tray ceiling.

Just now, stevenyhof said:

I kind of figured it out. When I add a divide wall between the great room and the kitchen, I can select the great room only. Nice. Then I add the tray ceiling... and while the try is placed where it should be in the great room, the outer line of the tray against the wall, passes through the divide wall and into the kitchen, covering up the skylight. When I add a standard wall between the kitchen and the great room and add the tray, it works perfectly and the skylight hole is there. So something is messed up with the divide wall and the tray ceiling.

By design, the ceiling plane will extend across room divider walls when the rooms on both sides have the same ceiling height. This can be rather confusing behavior at times, especially for recessed trey ceilings, but without that behavior, it would be more difficult to produce trey ceilings that intentionally span room dividers.

One way to deal with these cases is, as Eric suggested, to draw a regular interior wall and add a doorway that covers the entire wall surface. Given the configuration of the walls in this plan, though, it's probably easier to use the "Explode Trey Ceiling" tool and then pull the edge of the ceiling plane back so it doesn't extend into the kitchen area. Of course, then you'd probably want to put that ceiling plane on a layer that's hidden in the plan view so it's not cluttering the drawing.

Neither of those is really a perfect solution, of course, but hopefully it'll get you into a state where the plan at least looks the way you'd like it to.

image.png.2e2c79b908b037db7dfac7187020ff6d.png

image.thumb.png.bad366f57cef7fa71f2804ac02ca54a8.png

• Like 1

I really do not need to show a 3D of the ceiling so I think I am fine. Thank you to everyone for jumping on this. I now know several ways to address this.