I found a post in another forum discussing the reversal of a plan and how it also reverses (rotates) vertical (sideways) text. It was not solved.

I had to reverse a plan today and once done, I needed to rotate all my vertical text 180 so they were read from the right. 

I went into the defaults and set the text to rotate and also not to rotate, but get the same results. Does anyone know how to reverse a plan and keep the text reading from the right?

Thank you

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I do see that when rotating a plan using the "Rotate Plan View..." tool, it works. I may have rotated a plan less than 10 times in 40 years. I have mirrored a plan many times.

1 hour ago, stevenyhof said:

I do see that when rotating a plan using the "Rotate Plan View..." tool, it works. 

Don’t use that tool for that purpose. It doesn’t actually rotate the plan at all. It just rotates your “drawing board“.  It rotates the grid, the axis, everything. It’s really just used to adjust the way you are LOOKING AT the plan.  I have used it to help visualizing things better when working on off angle wings and for Plot Plan Plan Views.

11 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Don’t use that tool for that purpose. It doesn’t actually rotate the plan at all. It just rotates your “drawing board“.  It rotates the grid, the axis, everything. It’s really just used to adjust the way you are LOOKING AT the plan.  I have used it to help visualizing things better when working on off angle wings and for Plot Plan Plan Views.

I should have expanded my comment. I am not rotating because it does not help me. Just commenting on the fact that the rotate text in the text defaults is related to rotating the plan.

I am trying to find a way to maintain the text orientation when I reverse (mirror) the plan. Is there any option to maintaining the text when reversing the plan?

FYI I just reversed a single-story clubhouse plan & the 90 deg text did not assume the correct rotation although it was in the correct location.

The electrical behaved well and the framing did ok but was a mono slope roof so not much to go wrong.

What did go wrong was that I saved the new plan with 'R' in the name while the Layout file was open.

I figured Chief would change the layout boxes to the correct file. This did not happen.

Worse was that I used "Saved Plan Views" in this layout & they did not update to the new plan name.

So beware.

(out to lunch)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    HeartAlba
    Newest Member
    HeartAlba

• By stevenyhof
      Has anyone run into this before? This is now the second plan where this has happened. I did go through my library and make sure things were set up as defaults.
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qVTH6gugwTKaiwnmg6aKkczmyCNVFGW-/view?usp=sharing
    • By stevenyhof
      So I just completed a plan - spent about 3 hours putting my notes and things on 5 sections. The client wanted a few changes so I opened the plan and see that I have no sections. I looked at my archives - nope! - I have is saving every 2 minutes. Is there hope are does this happen and I just have to get to work again?
    • By stevenyhof
      I'm trying to understand the materials for walls.
      I spent some time going through all my default walls in the Default Settings, making sure I set all my materials for my interior and exterior wall materials to default (checked default and see default noted in the materials tab.) I also went through my library one wall at a time to make sure all settings matched and set to default - especially for my interior and exterior materials. Then I created a New drawing and added some walls to see all my settings were working correctly - which they were. I had both exterior and interior walls drawn and added some walls from my library and all those walls also checked out good. Siding and wall colors/details were what I set up in my template. Nice!  Ok, I thought I would go into the Defaults on the New drawing and change my interior wall color. Nothing changed. Ok, so while floor heights, joist, etc. all seem to change things in the current plan, wall material changes do nothing to existing walls. Is this correct? So if I have 6 different wall types in the drawing and I want to change the color of the wall, do I need to open each one and change the color in Wall Types? I do see that I can control these walls form the Define Wall Types... dbx. I would just have to know what walls are in the drawing. And this does change the walls - so this works. I know I can use the Material Eyedropper but that causes other issues when I want to change things in the Define walls area - and the reason I went back to make sure everything is set to defaults. Taking me some times to wrap my head around how these defaults work. So it seems to me that if all my walls, set up in Defaults Settings (each wall type) AND in my Library, that changing the Materials in the Default Settings should change all the walls in the plan if all the walls in the plan are set up to use the default materials. Maybe I am missing something, but if I have a client that want to see vertical siding vs horizontal, or one overall color for the interior walls, that I would not have to change all the different wall types added into the plan one by one.  How do others address this issue?  
      Thank you,
      Steve

• By stevenyhof
      I have run into this a few times and can't seem to get rid of it. I do not want the boxed fascia on the gable end.
      I want what is on the left, not on the right.
      I even deleted the right roof and copied the left to the right - it just comes back.
      Thoughts?
      Thank you!
      SND1854 Potter Barn.plan

• By stevenyhof
      I am noticing that the system continues to make copies of my wall types. I just spent 30 minutes going through and deleting all the duplicate walls in my main template. Feeling good, I started a new plan from the template and ready to go with everything cleaned up. I opened my exterior wall just to check, and notice that from the time I saved the main template to making a new drawing from the template (start new drawing), that the system made many copies of many of the walls.

I have been told to just set my defaults in the Defaults and from there modify as I need. I have, however, found it very nice about Chief that I can have a number of walls all ready to go. In fact, it seems that is a nice feature about Chief that we can take advantage of and set up. It has worked very nicely for me and I have saved a lot of time.

I expounded on that because my question is about why Chief is making duplicates of the walls? See my image. When I left my template, there were zero duplicates and all my walls were pointing to my main walls (not any _2 _3 ... were there) . Then I open this new drawing (from the template) and open my exterior wall type to see seven copies of my exterior wall - why is this happening?

And now when I go back and open my default template it is filled with these copies - ugh!!

Thank you,
      Steve