What a JerkinHead

DMDesigns

21 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

as with the other person who asked me recently , normally you just want to know the distance in from the gable wall the pitch change starts at the ridge Level , eg in their case they were try to get chief to start the pitch down 11ft from the gable wall. It's also one of the easier ways to do it Onsite , measure in from gable wall, ( baseline) lop off the ridge you previously ran long, and offer up the precut Common Rafter

This kind of surprises me.  I wouldn't think this is how you'd build a full hip?... so why a partial?  I understand though, you're looking at Chief from the perspective of building it, but first it has to be designed, and from the design point of view, I'm looking at it from how wide would I want that section of hip to be in relation to the overall width of roof and roof pitch.  Once the look is established I can call out on the plans the plate height and width for that section of roof... wouldn't that be just what you need to frame it?

On 3/29/2020 at 10:16 AM, Kbird1 said:

normally you just want to know the distance in from the gable wall the pitch change starts at the ridge Level

Completely subjective.  It could be just as easy to start from the bottom using the Height (Starts AT Height) or from the heel (In From Baseline).  I've framed houses for many years, and I honestly don't believe I would ever use that top number you're talking about as my main point of reference. 

On 3/29/2020 at 10:16 AM, Kbird1 said:

Not at all it isn't an Upper Pitch

Is it a lower pitch? 

9 hours ago, DzinEye said:

This kind of surprises me.  I wouldn't think this is how you'd build a full hip?

Why not? I'm sure there are 10 different ways to frame it depending on the circumstance's but standing the ridge with the common rafters either side and then one off the end of the ridge is pretty common...

Your just looking at it from the other direction ( so to speak )  but at the moment we don't have either method to use , as Chief has made up it own way of doing and calculating it.

And yes the Plate height would work too , only chief is NOT placing the plate at the correct height currently either.....

M.

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Is it a lower pitch? 

It is simply a Hip roof built off a different plate height than the Main Roof Planes, it is not an Upper Pitch as the Term denotes it in Chief eg for a gullwing Roof.

IMHO of course, we obviously have a difference of Opinion on that....

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

from the heel (In From Baseline)

ie in from the Gable Wall as I said...  whether you go in and then up (Rise to find the Point or in and then down at the pitch angle from the ridge is all the same thing, eg when laid out on the Plywood Floor for example to find the Plate Height for the Gable wall you'd like to frame before standing it.  ( or draw CAD lines in Chief at scale to do it beforehand.

We all do things differently depending on experience/skillset etc but in the end the Result is the same ...hopefully.... 

There is no way at the moment to use a known Onsite method ( to me) in Chief to get the same result and the fact Chief does not document,

their Method at all just makes it that much more frustrating, in the Video She actually skips over the whole in from baseline "thing" and choses

an arbitrary 10ft in from BL. In the Other videos She actually goes in to BL and explains it and explains what the BL is and where it's located

in Chief etc, the Info, in the case of a Half Hip has no correlation if you have watched the other short Auto Roof Build Videos in the series.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6128/half-hip-roof.html?playlist=95.

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

And yes the Plate height would work too , only chief is NOT placing the plate at the correct height currently either.....

Yep, I saw that in your section.  That should be fixed.