Dropbox "Remove" dialogue mystery

Sydney23

I've been using CA for maybe 6 years? And Dropbox for several years too.

In the last few weeks I keep getting a Dropbox dialogue when I try and save or close a CA file:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Remove [file name] from everyone's Dropbox account and all devices?

If you move this file to [file name_46f4a6887c94c335e499aa1 etc etc etc....], it will no longer be shared with anyone, and it won't be available in Dropbox or on any devices.

[Cancel]    [Move out of Dropbox]"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What? I have literally no idea what this means. It's in English, but it makes no sense to me. It never used to do this, now it does it all the time. That great big long file name with the weird letters after it looks like an archive folder to me. Why would CA be trying to moving my file to the archive folder when I manually save it or close it? - and upsetting Dropbox in the process?

I ignored it until today, when CA crashed. Then I opened up the file I'd been working on (and manually saving every few minutes) and it had lost the last 2 hours' work. I looked in the Archive folder and the latest autosave/archive file is 2 hours old. I have autosave set to every 5 minutes, but they weren't there.

What I have just noticed is that on my PC in that client's CA folder, there are 5 extra plans with the same name, but each one has a number in brackets after, as in:

file_name(1).plan

file_name(2).plan

etc

No idea why but I suspect it's related. My files are going nuts!

I would contact Dropbox but I am suspecting this is a CA autosave/archive issue? and maybe someone here has seen this behaviour or knows what I have accidentally switched on or off somewhere without realising/remembering. Is my CA or Dropbox somehow corrupted? Should I move my CA "archives" folder to be within the main Dropbox folder on my C drive? How about my 'Temporary' folder?

Bit of a nightmare. If I can't rely on CA to back up my work that's not good. Or is it some new change with Dropbox? Is the weird message above and the lack of CA autosave backups unrelated?

Any guidance gratefully received, thanks.

Now to see if I can redo 2 hours' work in 1 hour...

And now CA is crashing a lot more than usual, just hangs with the Windows timer donut thing.

Pretty sure it's to do with Dropbox / CA backups and file locations. Something has changed, not sure if someone has updated their software (Dropbox, CA or Windows) or if something has got corrupted. I'll sort it out sooner or later, just hopefully without losing too much work!!

12 minutes ago, Sydney23 said:

And now CA is crashing a lot more than usual, just hangs with the Windows timer donut thing.

Pretty sure it's to do with Dropbox / CA backups and file locations. Something has changed, not sure if someone has updated their software (Dropbox, CA or Windows) or if something has got corrupted. I'll sort it out sooner or later, just hopefully without losing too much work!!

Dropbox has changed considerably in regards to file locking and authoring. Do you have your CA installed in a dropbox folder? Look at your folder paths under edit/preferences/folders/

Hi,

Thanks, I checked and none of the CA Preference location folders there are in Dropbox, just my C drive. I only put the CA client files I'm actually working on in Dropbox. I think you have probably nailed the problem. I'll try having also having my CA Backup folder in my Dropbox so that CA and Dropbox play together nicely. It won't harm to have my CA back-up files backed up on line. You can never have too many backups!!

I really appreciate your help, thanks a lot :)

I had the same issue last year, CA and DB were both on my C drive.  DB however was HUGE and was constantly freezing up.. so I deleted it of the C drive.  Now I just manually download to DB.  I work alone, so I don't have to worry about shared work or anything.  

Hi Michael, thanks for this input. I am no longer getting the DB error messages having moved the CA archive folder to within the DB folder as suggested above. But CA has crashed already this morning and layout coudn't find a linked plan even though it worked last night! Weird. I'm not sure quite where the issue is, hopefully it will just smooth itself out. If the crashing keeps happening the simplest thing might be to get X11 - I'm so many years behind it would probably mean just buying a new copy and keeping my X6 for any future co-worker (which I don't really want!). I'd better start saving.... :)