Retaining wall

capitaldesigns

You will need to use Terrain Elevation Data, modifiers, etc.

Be aware that it could be hard going.

The best tool to do the drain would be the Elevation Region.

Things will get a lot more complicated if the terrain or the drain have any cross fall.

I recommend that you do not use a Terrain retaining wall - you will have much better success if you use a Terrain Break and use an ordinary wall after you get the terrain correct.

New Image_29.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Glenn. I tried to do what you did. I drew the terrain and put in a couple of elevation lines. One at 0" elevation and the other at 10'.

I drew a terrain break across the middle of the terrain. That worked. I then than drew a terrain wall along the grade break. Good. I than

drew and elevation region behind the grade break line 12" lower than the grade at that point. The grade behind the wall started bulging

up. Not an even slope, but not to bad. I then moved the terrain wall back to be even with the grade break line. Everything at the point went

wacky. Big swells and bulges above and below the the terrain wall. I moved the wall back to where it was, but still everything was wacky.

I then erased the wall, still everything was still wacky. 

I have no idea why moving the terrain wall back to be just in front of the terrain break line would screw up the model.

Post the plan and I will try and sort it out for you.

You need to know where to place elevation data to get things to work properly.

Sounds like you need more Elevation Lines to control the terrain slope - 2 is probably not enough.

Was the wall you used a Retaning Wall or a Terrain Wall? 

I deleted it since it was not working out. This plan was a practice plan.

I wanted to use a practice plan before worked on the real plan and screwed

up it up.

On the practice plan I did add 6 elevation lines evenly spaced , each at one foot elevation changes.

CA did not seem to follow those elevation lines. I got a big swell in the lower terrain area where it was

flat before moving the terrain wall back to the terrain break line. At the top terrain area area I got a big

bulge where it was a consistent even up slope.

I think the best thing for me at this time is to forget the V ditch behind the retaining wall.

Thanks for your help.

Mike 

I can not open your file. I get a message from CA saying that I am running an older version of CA Premier software that does not support the newer features of the .plan file......

I am running X11. A month ago I bought a new computer and downloaded X11 on this computer. At the bottom of your email it says you are also running X11. Is that correct ?