vonlost

Dirt not becoming visible

Newbie with Essentials 2019 on iMac.  The house is fine, it all works.  Now for landscaping.  The fence is fine, shows in 3D.  I added Terrain Perimeter, shows in 2D, not 3D, but that seems okay.  I opened Terrain Specification, selected Materials/Terrain/Dirt/OK, but nothing changes in 2D or 3D, no dirt shows.  For 3D Camera I removed backdrop, no background color, turned on Generate Sky/Haze, looks good in 3D, just no dirt.

I'm obviously missing a step to get the dirt to appear.  What is the trick? I expected the dirt to hide the foundation, appearing at the bottom of the fence,

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 12.10.59 PM.png

You have found the forum for the Chief Architect branded products.

Home Designer users have their own forum, HomeTalk, where you will find suggestions based on your software.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

In your 3D view Layer Set, is the Terrain Perimeter layer checked to Display?

Yes, that was it, thanks.  I have suggested that the appropriate Display box should be automatically checked when adding a feature in that category.

If you are in a view (2D or 3D) and you create an object with it's layer not displaying, Chief will ask you if you want to display that layer. 

Thanks, but I'm an amateur Home user, so don't get that feature.  I posted here by mistake above, and then in Home, re mr solver.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Olysan
    Newest Member
    Olysan

• By thewell
      Does anyone have a site to OBTAIN MORE PLANTS THAN IN THE CHIEF CATALOGS?  I do a lot of landscape design - and really could use MORE PLANTS ...........
      2nd question - EASIEST WAY TO ALTER THE 2D PLANT IMAGE IN COLOR (versus most plant images in 2d are black/white) ... AND STORE THE 2d symbol along with the plant etc
    • By nbmorgan
      I am purchasing a new home and I have really enjoyed using Chief Architect to do what if scenarios on my property.  My new lot is much more complicated (on a hill).  I am looking to hire someone to research the topo maps and setup my initial state for my house and lot.  I have the blueprints for the house built in 77 and have already entered them.  But the lot topography is a bit much of a time learning curve for me at this time. 

I assume there is someone here who can do this for a fixed price or hourly rate.

Thanks,
      nbmorgan
    • By rodneyh
      I have a hand drawing depicting existing trees on a building lot.  I want to place/replicate those trees within my Terrain Perimeter. How do I locate those trees and shrubs in the drawing as I see no way to place measuring guides that stay in place?
    • By B4UBLD
      Hi All,

Just trying to add some terrain features to a landscape I'm working on.  I need to create several "dry stream beds" (lowered, stream-like "valley" region filled with river rock), as well as a raised area/berm for a water feature and associated plants to sit atop of.  I'm afraid that I've always seemed to have trouble using the Terrain Modifier tools.  Don't know why, but I can't get the hill to look right and the valley to show up at all.  Embarrassed to ask, but can't find any help by searching on Forum, nor on Chief Architect site.  Thanks in advance.

Julie