Terrain Elevation Points

NeilofOZ

We had our local User Group meeting today and I revisited the topic of using ELEVATION LINES in lieu of ELEVATION POINTS.

The previous meeting the consensus was that ELEVATION LINES were the preferred method for altering terrain levels, but this seemed

incongruous to me as both LINES and REGIONS can only have a single reference to their heights and the tutorials only use LINES 

from one side of a lot, to the other.

I ended up using ELEVATION POINTS instead of LINES, as there were numerous entry points to the building, which made it difficult to re-shape

the terrain to each of these areas, using a single reference for horizontal data to multiple points 

Ended up doing the following:-

1. Reset my contours to 1M.

2. Added ELEVATION POINTS along the contours, which allowed me to copy/paste the same data along each contour.

3. Removed all the contour lines 

4. Created an TERRAIN HOLE to match the profile of the building 

5. Placed a new TERRAIN POINT at each area that coincided at all entry points.

6. Where the terrain appeared out of kilt with the existing land, changed the original ELEVATION POINTS closest to new points, to nullify any obvious discrepancy. 

The result was far better than expected and allowed me to micro manage the terrain levels with the utmost accuracy.

Have attached a picture as the plan is too large, showing new ELEVATION POINTS in orange, but would be interested in any comments that other Users may have.

Terrain Levels.png

2 hours ago, NeilofOZ said:

2. Added ELEVATION POINTS along the contours, which allowed me to copy/paste the same data along each contour.

That sounds like an Elevation Line or spline to me.

An elevation line is really just a series of elevation points at about 600 centres which is much easier to control than a series of unconnected points.

• Upvote 1