Wall elevation views/removing cabinet doors & drawers

sweetmelissa

Please forgive my lack of experience... I might not explain this perfectly.  In my layout, I am wanting to show the configuration of shelving/drawers, etc by removing the cabinet doors/drawers in the camera view.  However, I don't want this to be the case for EVERY wall elevation.  Is there a way to leave the doors/drawers off for some rooms, but not have that reflected on the layout view for ALL wall elevations? Thanks for whatever help you can give!

Take a section view through the cabinets with the camera origin located just behind the doors (directly on the front of the cabinet box. Send it to Layout and use the drawing order tools to place it on top of the coordinating wall elevation. Crop the layout box as necessary. Make a copy of the layer set if you want different display options for the camera that shows shelving.

image.thumb.png.90a46289bea5a3ef07140c30afa1b292.pngimage.thumb.png.690dccae3879658f765308cbf7821656.png

38 minutes ago, sweetmelissa said:

Please forgive my lack of experience... I might not explain this perfectly.  In my layout, I am wanting to show the configuration of shelving/drawers, etc by removing the cabinet doors/drawers in the camera view.  However, I don't want this to be the case for EVERY wall elevation.  Is there a way to leave the doors/drawers off for some rooms, but not have that reflected on the layout view for ALL wall elevations? Thanks for whatever help you can give!

Would the glass house view work for you?

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Take a section view through the cabinets with the camera origin located just behind the doors (directly on the front of the cabinet box. Send it to Layout and use the drawing order tools to place it on top of the coordinating wall elevation. Crop the layout box as necessary. Make a copy of the layer set if you want different display options for the camera that shows shelving.

image.thumb.png.90a46289bea5a3ef07140c30afa1b292.pngimage.thumb.png.690dccae3879658f765308cbf7821656.png

Yep, glad I asked! I would not have thought of that! Thanks :)

39 minutes ago, solver said:

You can send to layout using different layer sets.

Here I made a copy of the Section View Set and turned off the display of cabinet door and drawers.

You will need to test to see how this works for you.

ct1.thumb.jpg.d5e2d19ed7151855992d145e82ccbbe4.jpg

This makes perfect sense too and seems to give me the result I'm looking for... except that layer sets intimate me and I have not taken the time to learn exactly how to use them, sadly.  I will.  Thank you for reminding me how lazy I am! ;)

Thank you for the article.  I was under a time crunch, but quickly read it and was able to achieve what I wanted.  I still need to practice, so I understand exactly what is happening, but this will do for today! I should have asked this a while ago.  I tell myself I need to spend a certain amount of time each day watching training video's, etc, because I know there is a LOT I don't know that would make this so much easier and quicker.  One day at a time... 

You all are great for helping people out like you do!

Melissa1710581455_withdoors.thumb.PNG.589e40052e864f10652281c271c9d617.PNG1486712156_nodoors.thumb.PNG.2a7d24e943d13269b0d9dd8c79eefa70.PNG

• Upvote 1

1710581455_withdoors.thumb.PNG.589e40052e864f10652281c271c9d617.PNG

Looks good Melissa. A quick tip: when you're done with the drawing, select those point markers and turn them white and place them all the way to the back of the drawing order so they don't show up.

Or, place them on a separate layer (if you don't like the idea of them being white) and turn that layer off when you've completed your dimensions. 

You can also create dimension grid lines (maybe gray and dashed) that you dimension to and you can keep them showing but display them behind your cabinets. There's lots of different ways to clean up those point markers and get the dimension leader lines to have the correct (and constant) gapping.

Nice work though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 2:13 PM, robdyck said:

1710581455_withdoors.thumb.PNG.589e40052e864f10652281c271c9d617.PNG

Looks good Melissa. A quick tip: when you're done with the drawing, select those point markers and turn them white and place them all the way to the back of the drawing order so they don't show up.

Or, place them on a separate layer (if you don't like the idea of them being white) and turn that layer off when you've completed your dimensions. 

You can also create dimension grid lines (maybe gray and dashed) that you dimension to and you can keep them showing but display them behind your cabinets. There's lots of different ways to clean up those point markers and get the dimension leader lines to have the correct (and constant) gapping.

Nice work though!

Thank you for the tip.  I need all I can get.  I like the white point markers much better.  Not sure about dimension grid lines.  Will have to look that one up! 

2 hours ago, sweetmelissa said:

Not sure about dimension grid lines.  Will have to look that one up! 

They're nothing special. Just CAD lines that you'd assign to their own layer with their own layer style. You'd use them to establish a story-pole of often and consistently used dimensions.

Example (for cabinet elevations): start with a line at your finished floor, copy at the height of the toe kick, the countertop, underside of wall cabinets, or light rail, underside of range hood, top of wall cabinet, top of crown moulding, underside of finished ceiling. You can build it once, with dimensions or elevation markers and copy and paste it into each cabinet elevation. Then add supplementary dimensions as needed in each elevation (ie: the underside of a vanity desk).

Using the drawing order tool you can choose to have these lines on top of, or behind the elevation drawing. I typically keep them behind and use a medium light gray dashed line with a heavy line weight. I like to make sure the lines are visible on the left and right side of the elevation view.

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

They're nothing special. Just CAD lines that you'd assign to their own layer with their own layer style. You'd use them to establish a story-pole of often and consistently used dimensions.

Example (for cabinet elevations): start with a line at your finished floor, copy at the height of the toe kick, the countertop, underside of wall cabinets, or light rail, underside of range hood, top of wall cabinet, top of crown moulding, underside of finished ceiling. You can build it once, with dimensions or elevation markers and copy and paste it into each cabinet elevation. Then add supplementary dimensions as needed in each elevation (ie: the underside of a vanity desk).

Using the drawing order tool you can choose to have these lines on top of, or behind the elevation drawing. I typically keep them behind and use a medium light gray dashed line with a heavy line weight. I like to make sure the lines are visible on the left and right side of the elevation view.

That is very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.