capitaldesigns

Custom Ceilings

I was following along with Michael David's custom ceiling tutorial. I added soffits around the room with molding. When I did the plan I get an outline of the

ceiling soffits on the floor as well. I tried it again by following along with his video and got the same results. I did a third floor plan but followed along with

Chief's tutorial on using the soffit tool. This time I did not get an outline of the soffits on the floor.

Can anyone let me know why I am getting an outline of the ceiling soffits on the floor ? I have attached the plan and a 3D view.

Thanks,

Mike 

Untitled_10.plan

Custom Ceiling.jpg

4 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

getting an outline of the ceiling soffits on the floor

That's not an outline, it's a molding.

You are using Countertops, not Soffits, and 3D Molding Polylines.

Delete the 3D Molding Polylines (you would use Molding Polylines, not 3D).

Select the hole in countertop and add moldings to them.

ct1.thumb.jpg.ee824df4653a0211a89734c5eb49e722.jpg

And in the room where you did use soffits, instead of adding molding to the individual soffit, just add it to the room and the soffits will automatically pick it up. Makes changing the profile easier.

Thank You Eric, that worked. I just watched Michael David's video again and followed step by step what he did. He used a 3d molding polyline and did not get the molding

showing up on the floor like I do. I tried your suggestion and used a molding polyline and everything worked out. No molding on the floor.

Questions, why is it that using a 3d molding polyline is putting molding on the ceiling and the floor at the same time ? What is the deference between a molding polyline

and a 3d polyline ? Both show the molding in 3d. When would you use a 3d molding polyline v. a molding polyline ?

Thanks Again,

Mike 

Open one of the 3D Molding Polylines  and you will see there are 2 moldings assigned.

The one on the floor is a default that you should have replaced. Instead you added one.

ct1.thumb.jpg.bf3f98431b96c78bc4af195b22e391a4.jpg

A 3D Molding Polyline is only needed when you want to adjust it in multiple planes. A standard Molding Polyline is all that's needed in most cases.

11 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

I tried your suggestion and used a molding polyline and everything worked out.

I didn't suggest you do that, just if you were to use a polyline with a molding attached, it should be a Molding Polyline, and not a 3D.

Since you used Countertops and Soffits, you should take advantage of the ability to add moldings directly to them and not use Molding Polylines. 

In the case of soffits specifically, they will automatically pick up the room moldings as I said above.

Does this make sense?

You could also make the beams from Polyline Solids. If you did so, then you would need to use a Molding Polyline.

Thanks Eric. I see that there are 2 moldings. I deleted the molding at the floor. I still get the outline of the ceiling molding on the floor.

I double check to see if the floor molding was really deleted. It was. The only way I could get the floor molding to not show up was to

increase the thickness of the floor finish by 1/2".

15 hours ago, capitaldesigns said:

I was following along with Michael David's custom ceiling tutorial. I added soffits around the room with molding. When I did the plan I get an outline of the

ceiling soffits on the floor as well. I tried it again by following along with his video and got the same results. I did a third floor plan but followed along with

Chief's tutorial on using the soffit tool. This time I did not get an outline of the soffits on the floor.

Can anyone let me know why I am getting an outline of the ceiling soffits on the floor ? I have attached the plan and a 3D view.

Thanks,

Mike 

Untitled_10.plan

Custom Ceiling.jpg

His name is David Michaels his web address is: dmdesignsoc.com