dimension defaults/layer sets

Lighthouse

I want to create annotation sets, or at least layer sets, that will be scale appropriate.  For example, I want to create a 3" scale detail set, a 1 1/2" scale detail set, etc.  The goal is that on a given layout page I could have drawings with different scales that all have the same text and dimension size.  For example, a layout page may contain a 1/4" scale plan and a 3" scale detail.  I would like the font to be the same size on both. I can create text styles that have the font sizes I want, but I can't figure out how to associate these text styles with a new annotation set.  I have tried:

edit/defaults/annotation sets/copy a set and rename/use the green + button to create new text sizes, etc.

Is that the proper method?  I have also created text styles in layer sets, but they do not show up as options in the edit annotation set dbx.  I feel like I'm missing something very obvious.  Can anyone lay out the correct sequence to create different scale annotation sets?  Or should I just be doing it as layer sets?   This is really just for CAD details.

Or, if anyone has annotation sets that they could share, that are specific to different scales, I would greatly appreciate it.  I have tried and failed (watched many videos) to do this numerous time.

thanks!