32-bit version

HL2000

Greetings. 

I have been using the 64-bit version of the software on my work computer, but just got a tablet that is running 32-bit Windows 10.  From the page https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates/oldupdates.html

The last 32-bit version I believe is Chief Architect Premier X8 Windows 32-bit

The Chief Architect support group told me that they are only supporting the 2018 and 2019 software version.  Any suggestion on how I could get my hands on the MSI to install the 32-bit version? My new tablet has quad-core and enough video and main memory to run except the OS is 32-bit. 

maybe buy X8 32-bit from a user that no longer wants to use Chief

or from Ebay - setup a search and you will get an email whenever an auction/sale starts

I suspect X8 would still be rather pricey ?

If you have an X8 license maybe CA's tech support can provide the 32-bit version ?

Lew

My new tablet has quad-core and enough video and main memory to run except the OS is 32-bit. 

Unfortunately, your new tablet does not meet our minimum system requirements so it won't run any of our current software.

Yes, you could get an older 32 bit version of our software (Chief X8 or Home Designer 2017) and that should run on your tablet, but then you might run into some other issues. 

First, the 32 bit OS will not allow the program to use more then 4GB of memory.  If your tablet came with less then 4GB, it's probably not going to work very well for you.  If it came with more then 4GB, the extra memory can't even be used.  In either case, it will probably behave very poorly if you are trying to work with any large models.  Our recommended system for Chief is that you have 16GB of memory (and more is always better). 

Also, keep in mind that you will not be able to work with any plans that you have created or modified on your work computer.  Any plans saved in newer versions of our software can not be opened in any older versions. 

I suspect that you will find that a lot of other newer software won't run on your new tablet as well since there are not very many people using 32 bit Windows anymore.  Since your tablet is new, you might want to see if you can either upgrade your OS or return it and get one that comes with 64 bit Windows and more memory.

Lew, thank you for your suggestion. I looked into it, and it appears Amazon might have a downloadable HD 32-bit version available for purchase. 

Dermot, thank you for taking the time to post your response.  I hope you did not mean it, but your response comes across as draconian with a take it or leave it attitude. I bet you are much more pleasant in real life.  

It is unfortunate that "Also, keep in mind that you will not be able to work with any plans that you have created or modified on your work computer.  Any plans saved in newer versions of our software can not be opened in any older versions. ".

I spent 20 years in software development before retiring 10 years ago, and understands and appreciates backwards compatibility, as well as taking advantage of hardware improvements over time. For a light traveling computing device, the new tablet is actually surprising useful, and I have not had any other software limitations so far.  I can pull the tablet out of my suit pocket and be productive during flight, in between meetings, on Uber, access VPN, ...etc,without lugging my big PC.

Many market segments that are heavily tied to legacy software, such as government departments and many businesses will run a 32-bit Windows OS to retain 16-bit software compatibility or for 32-bit-only device driver support.

With all that said, I will look into the required efforts of moving to 64-bit on this tablet.