What to do about Undo?

Tdgdesign

8 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

OK thanks. I am using a Asus laptop - are you saying I would need to replace my hard drive to speed things up? Funny thing is I can Raytrace full tilt and wont notice any drop in performance at all...

RT is all done by the CPU ... and you have a good one  :) 

You may have a 7200RPM HDD but it will still be way slower than a SATA SSD  and much slower than a .M2 Drive (they are about 4x faster than a SATA SSD)

Some laptops ,especially gaming ones have two HDD Bays so it maybe possible to ADD one , and Clone the OS to the SSD ( easily done with Macrium Reflect Free)

Or you can replace the HDD with a SSD I'd suggest 500GB ---1TB if you are a Gamer and have lots of Games installed. You can then use the 1TB HDD as an external Drive for backups by placing it in an External case like the MediaSonic HDK-SU3 Rev.2 , I just got one on sale for a friend for $18.00

What is the EXACT Model you have?

M.

Haha, I hope this isn't overkill. I really appreciate your help !!

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    DESKTOP-O5EUMUQ
System Manufacturer    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model    GL702VSK

actually only info that helps there is the Model number ( GL702VSK ) so you can delete the rest.....

The reason for the exact model , is that most laptops have about 10 different configurations as you can see here.... it is a bit vague  there are 6 options for Storage alone....but it looks like it will accept a 512GB SSD , so that's good news if you can afford one..... the Samsung EVO line is good , no need to spend the extra on a Pro version....not much faster , just a longer warranty.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL702VS/specifications/

is it this one by xotic?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Strix-GL702VS-7700HQ-FHD-GTX-1070-Xotic-PC-Edition-Notebook-Review.207150.0.html#toc-connectivity

there comments on the HDD...............

Storage Devices

As mentioned, the 7200 RPM HDD is slow. Interestingly, CrystalDiskMark testing places our review unit behind its smaller brother, the GL702VM, despite both notebooks using the same hard drive. This was the case with multiple rounds of testing. HD Tune may tell a more accurate story; the average transfer rate of 133.5 MB/s is more in line with 7200 RPM drives. 

What is clear is that the 1 TB drive in our GL702VS is outclassed by the SSD-equipped competition. Rivals are about 7 times faster in sequential read speeds and 4 times faster in write speeds. The Eurocom Tornado F5 blows everything else out of the water with its PCIe/NVMe drive, coming in at speeds over 20 times faster than our GL702VS (2145 MB/s vs. 78.3 MB/s). This is noteworthy as our unit can also accommodate NVMe SSDs. In theory, the GL702VS can attain this speed with an easily installed high-quality drive.

• Upvote 1

Wow Kbird You rock! Seems like the easiest thing is a Geek Squad install of a SSD drive? Short money that should improve performance? That video makes it seems like I would get warp speed (drooling)!) but also some potential problems?

Well I have been building and fixing computers for many years , so I'd do it myself , but Laptops are definitely way more difficult to work on , especially in the last 2-3 years as they no longer have user removable batteries , or Ram Access and HDD Doors on the bottom like they used too.

If you don't have heat issues , you don't need to do what he did to add the NVME Drive only. It was in the top RH corner of the Video ( has 960 on it , looks like a RAM Chip) , he never covered installing it as far as I saw FFing thru the VID. but it goes in at a 30 deg. angle, you snap it down flat and secure it with the small screw , that's it. 

I would open it 1st before buying a nvme drive though and see if the m2 slot is there, and empty , if so thats great as the HDD can stay in the computer as you Storage Drive, worse case scenario , no m2 slot means getting a SATA SSD instead and swapping it out with the HDD.

If you have the Budget the Samsung EVO line are great Drives but even a budget SDD or NVME eg from WD (BLUE line) is going to be much faster than the HDD you have.

M.