Sketchup Import Export

KristjanM

I am using the trial version and am having no luck with one of my requirements. Since the trial version has no export capabaility, Chief has sent me some sample files in dae and dwg format. When I open the dae fie in SU, the import fails. When  I open the dwg file, SU locks up before the file loading is finished. I need SketchUp in my workflow for a number of reasons which Chief doesn't satisfy. Is anyone sucessfully using SkecthUp in conjunction with Chief?

KristjanM

I too use SketchUp (Version 8) for creating custom 3D content for use in CA. Unlike Robert, I just import the .skp Sketchup file into CA. When I need to export a model from CA to Sketchup, I have used both .dwg and .3ds formats, both seem to work fine. 

I started with Chief 9.5 and until about ver X4

SU made a great companion for Chief in creating symbols etc

since X4 the need to go to SU then back to Chief has been reduced

with the enhancements in Chief's capabilities

many chiefers doing raytraces will export to SU first then after cleanup/enhancing

send on the 3rd party raytracers

bottom line SU can be part of your toolbox along with Chief

Lew

Thanks to all for your comments.

I tried obj and skp imports. Obj is not too good with some missing faces. Skp was actually good with everything there.

Exporting is another issue to be confirmed. Just tried the 3ds file from Chief and it fails at the end becuase of missing textures. I played around with the texture locations but haven't been sucessful yet.

Kris

Also try some of the older versions of SU for importing CA DAE files.  It seems that Chief may have been working with SU 8 when developing the DAE export file format.  I get a clean import into Blender, not so much into SU.

As others have mentioned, if you need SU in your work flow, it may be a good idea to look into some other means of converting the files into a more useable form.