3D Connexion SpaceMouse - Issues with Full Camera

cwrm74

I just purchased a 3D Connexion SpaceMouse, using it with X9 on a newer MacBook Pro (OS Sierra).

If using the SpaceMouse in a Full camera view, if I get close to an object, or try to go through a doorway, the view gets "spun" 90 degrees, or sometimes "jumps" several feet. Or, I'll just get blocked from moving further. I've tried all the camera modes, and different renders, with the same result. Using a conventional mouse, navigation works fine through the model, with a Full camera. 

If I start with a Perspective Full Overview, I can use the SpaceMouse to zoom around through the interior of the model with no issues. It works really well.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue when using the Full camera? I'd prefer to not have to start with the Perspective Full Overview each time we need to review an interior area, using the SpaceMouse.

Thanks, changing the Camera Bumps Off Walls setting fixed the issue. Bizarrely though I've never had that problem previously when using a conventional mouse, even though that setting has always been checked.

I do really like the space mouse. Only complaint is that navigation with it isn't as smooth as using a conventional mouse to "walk" the same path.

1 minute ago, cwrm74 said:

...Only complaint is that navigation with it isn't as smooth as using a conventional mouse to "walk" the same path.

It could just be that the 3D causes many more redraws so performance will be slower than the bigger movements that result from a normal mouse.  On my PC with a good graphics card both are very smooth.

However there is a fairly long standing performance issue that if you have a 2D plan view open on the same floor that the 3D view mouse is showing then performance is greatly impacted if both views are visible (two monitors or tiled view on one) .  It appears Chief is recalculating/drawing the 2D plan for each movement on the 3D mouse.  At first I thought this was due to the mouse indicator on the plan but even disabling that doesn't fix it so it looks like Chief is just refreshing/calculating something it shouldn't (I've reported this a couple of times)

This workaround is to change floor level so the 2D and 3D view are on different levels. This is best done on the 2D plan as changing the 3D view floor appears to affect showing lights on floors that are different to the floor level shown.

Mostly because of the fact that I like the "Camera Bumps off Wall" setting checked (because on occasion I don't have my 3D mouse with me), I just pull all 3D views with the Perspective Full Overview.

You can zip through the ceiling and walls without a problem.

Not sure if that helps or not, either.