pgjacob

computer recommendation

Hi
I was looking into a new laptop and wanted to see what the desired parameters are for optimum use in CA.  I work with pretty big files (100+MB) and now it lags quite a bit.  As well I am wondering if there are video cards that allow showing more than 8 lights at a time. 
Thanks in advance
melissa

There are gaming laptops that have desktop CPUs like i7 7700K. With most of those you won't have to deal with Optimus which I find an advantage especially with multiple monitors. I often run my 6700k with main screen, a 24" off display port, TV off HDMI, and a 15" DisplayLink off a USB with no issue. The older machine can get fussy if I use for DisplayPort. These machines are about 8-1/2 lbs and only get 2 hours on battery. Note that some no longer have easily swappable batteries. 

Don't know about more lights on the GPU but haven't noticed a need. Raytrace runs off the CPU and will use all the lights that are on, so more likely need to turn some off. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChiefRochelle
    Newest Member
    ChiefRochelle

• By carowe
      I just bought a new desktop and two 27” monitors in December and last week signed a contract on a job out of state that will require quite a bit of travel.  I am going to have to get a new laptop but really don’t want to spend a fortune at this point and don’t want to have to buy another license.  Most of my work will be done in my office, but on my trips out there will need to access my CA files, and perhaps work on them. What would be the minimum requirements I would need in order to access my main computer and let it do the heavy lifting on CA?  I use X11 Interiors and will primarily be working on kitchen and bathroom designs for the architect.
    • By LeeDrafter
      Hello,
      My "My Documents" folder on my work computer is actually on our server, and I know CA is not meant to be used over a network. I would like everything Chief Architect uses "My Documents" for to go in a different folder. How do I re-direct everything that references "My Documents"? I have started a folder on my hard drive called "CA My Documents" and was hoping to use that as the replacement folder. I have already moved all the CA files and libraries that I can find, but chief seems to look for that My documents folder sometimes.
      Thank you,
      Lee
      X10
    • By LCrosno
      Does anyone currently own a Razer Blade 15 or 17, or any of the higher powered MSI laptops that are marketed specifically for 3D renderings/CAD? I am looking to upgrade my ASUS, and these two options seem to be the front runners. I use Chief Premier X10, and am really looking for something that I can have smooth renderings in, do walk-throughs easily, and save a few files to my computer instead of constantly having to save to an external storage source. 

My current laptop is nearing three years old, and it has been fine, but never as good as I wanted. I am willing to spend the money now to get what I really need. 
      (Current computer: ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1 TB, 128 GB SSD)
    • By Toby-PKBLDR
      I need a new laptop to run Chief Premier and Sketchup Pro out of the office.
      Of these 3 offerings, I'd like to know anyone's thoughts or experiences.;
      https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/6239219.p?skuId=6239219# (can buy for $1,665 open box excellent-certified) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-m-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hybrid-drive-256gb-ssd-black/6232300.p?skuId=6232300 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-15-6-4k-ultra-hd-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-black/6139102.p?skuId=6139102 Thanks in advance for any feedback.

All the best,
      Toby
    • By Handwerk_Arts
      Okay, if you had no more than 2 grand to spend (maybe 2500) and you were in need of a new laptop, what would you pick? 
      Now, to make it a bit more interesting, imagine you don't just work in Chief. I do design in Chief and HDP. Also Video editing on Adobe, other design work on Adobe products and branching out into other software.
      I really need 4K UHD for video editing. And I really need a 17" screen, as my eyes are not as young as they once were.  Keep in mind, I will have no more desktop use, as I will be traveling. And with that in mind, maybe should go with a 15" and more powerful reading glasses. It will be difficult to get used to though, as I am used to 27" dual screens.  Not too concerned about rendering as I rarely do that.
      I have noticed there are pros and cons between mobile workstations and gaming laptops. Anyway, after weeks of reading reviews, articles, and videos, I need to take a breath of air.  So far I am leaning toward an 8th gen i7.
      But the question is, if YOU were to buy one today (and needed to do what i do) what would it be?

I appreciate your suggestions.