StephenGreene

Rookie Mistakes

Hey guys and gals... I just purchased CA a few weeks ago and I must say that I am truly impressed with the capabilities of this program, thanks to the OUTSTANDING work I've seen in this forum -some truly amazing work which only makes me realize that I have a long, long way to go.

I had no trouble with my first plan -a very basic single story home. The second is a different story as there are a few things I can't seem to fix. First is missing or incomplete frieze boards -particularly in the gables. Second, I can not figure out how to generate the missing angular wall sections of the second floor dormer and at least one of the main half gables. Third, I don't understand why CA won't generate a full return (or any for that matter) in the half-gable on the outer LAUNDRY wall. I'm sure there are other questions that I might have but those seem to be my main concerns for the time being.

Thanks for any help and advice.

SWG

RWL.plan

Fixed one side of the dormer. See the wall settings -- Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom, and Balloon Through Ceiling Above. You need to do this for manual dormers. You will need to pull the roof hole back, then bump it back against the wall to get the settings to take.

The gable over the laundry. Could not get the return to generate. You could draw in your own. 

The trim in the gable not being complete is because of the roof below. It's typical for a siding wall over a brick wall, to have the siding flush or a bit past the face of the brick. If you move the gable wall out, this closes the gap between it and the roof below, and the trim will fill in.

RWL (eric).zip

• Upvote 1

This one has the returns on the 2 front gables.

For the small return, trace over the one on the right, set the pitch and fascia height, then copy/reflect about the ridge. Add the hip part.

To get the frieze to show in the gable, pull the roof plane coming in from the left back a bit.

If you unlock the Roof, Trim layer, you can edit the frieze below the returns manually.

RWL (eric).zip

Many, many thanks to both Eric and David for taking so much of their valuable time to teach this old dog a few tricks. I can't believe I didn't think about pushing the siding out just past the brick (to generate the frieze in the gables). After 35 years of framing/building, you'd think I'd know better. I was also wondering why I could not manually edit frieze...now I know.