Wall above pony wall does not display correctly

Staniford

The gable end garage wall is set to be a pony wall with wall board. The house wall above the garage roof has exterior bead board siding.  In a cross section, or rendered view, a potion of the exposed upper wall appears as sheet rock, although more than half of the wall shows the exterior siding.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Joe

New House.plan

8 minutes ago, javatom said:

The spray can to change wall material is a last resort.  It can cause problems down the road.  As Michael has said, do it with wall definitions if possible.

I actually don't agree that the spray can is a last resort.  I believe it only ever causes problems in 2 ways...

1.  "Blend" is toggled on.  This is easy to address by just toggling it off though and can be pretty easily fixed after the fact too by toggling it off and repainting wall.  

2.  A person sprays a wall or portion thereof for any given room thereby changing it from "Use Default" or changing the material in the dbx to "No Change".  This isn't actually a problem at all unless you don't understand what's happening.

The fact is that the spray can is a perfectly valid method and in my opinion it's usually the most efficient method.  Actually, in the case of changing just a SECTION of a single wall for within one room, I believe it is the ONLY method.  At the end of the day it's not about right or wrong with that tool it's just about understanding what you're doing and how it works.  

Thanks to all that have responded.  I have tried plan in both x3 and x5; same result.  I tried setting to default "display in plan" under wall type; no change.  When I use spray can, it change both lower wall and upper wall to the selected wall type.  It is only a portion of the upper wall that displays incorrectly.  When I select the upper portion of the wall, it selects all of the area - both the correctly displayed and the incorrectly displayed portion.

3 minutes ago, Staniford said:

I tried setting to default "display in plan" under wall type;

It sounds like you're doing the wrong thing.  I'm not 100% certain about X5 but as I recall it worked the same way...

Click on the material tab, select your exterior surface, click to select a material and down near the bottom you should see a checkbox for "Use Default".  It may not work in X5 but hopefully it does.

Solver: yes I tried reversing wall again; same result, it just put the sheet rock finish on all of the upper wall.  Lower wall is sheet rock both sides anyway.

Alaskan-son: In materials it only list the pony wall, which is the lower wall, so both sides are sheet rock.  Keep in mind that part of the upper wall does display correctly as an exterior finish.  The right two thirds of the area is correct, and the left one third is not.

If you use the spray can to change an exterior wall type, you will eventually end up with a problem of not being able to change it any other way.  You can change the wall type to something else and nothing changes.  This is probably a bug but it is nevertheless a problem with using the spray tool instead of using the wall type and definitions to change a wall material.  I do not use this method at all but I spend a lot of time fixing other people messed up plans and this is the most common mistake I see.

Hi Eric - you cross sections look quite a bit different than mine.  The latest version I have is 5, and I get very different results when I reverse the wall; just the opposite of what you get.  Maybe there was a bug in  version 5 and older.  It's not a big enough problem to worry about too much; it just bugs me when things don't work the way I expect.

Hi Javatom - I have not had problems with the spray can, but I will keep an eye out, and try to use it sparingly.

Thanks all for the advice.

Eric - thanks for your determination.  I rotated the plan.  I had it rotated to create site plan.  I saw what you meant about the roof base line, so I made it parallel to the roof edge.  I couldn't determine what the angle was prior to adjusting.  This didn't seem to help.  I am enclosing two pictures showing the upper wall. One shows how I have defined the upper portion of the wall.  It is only the left part of the wall, adjacent to the rear roof plane,  that displays incorrectly.  I tried disconnecting one of the perpendicular walls in the garage (laundry room) and this made more of the wall display incorrectly.

upper wall selected.jpg

roof step up.jpg

Thanks Eric.  I tried deleting and reflecting the roof - no change.  I did realize that your previous picture showed an area at the other end of the house, which I had discovered and fixed.  Let's hope, for what it  costs to keep up, that there are some real differences.

17 hours ago, javatom said:

If you use the spray can to change an exterior wall type, you will eventually end up with a problem of not being able to change it any other way.  You can change the wall type to something else and nothing changes.  This is probably a bug but it is nevertheless a problem with using the spray tool instead of using the wall type and definitions to change a wall material.  I do not use this method at all but I spend a lot of time fixing other people messed up plans and this is the most common mistake I see.

This isn't a problem with the spray can but rather a fundamental misunderstanding of the way Chief works.  I don't have time to get into it right now and I think I may have already spelled it out in quite a bit of detail in another thread a while back but it's important to realize that walls are unique and the material can be changed in several different ways.  All of which have their benefits and drawbacks. Here are a few of the ways just off the top...

• Using the Room material settings
  • Using the Wall material settings
  • Using the Wall Type material settings
  • Using the spray can
  • Using wall coverings
  • Using material regions

In addition to the ways you can change the materials, you can also check "Use Default".  Specifically, when you use the spray can you are basically telling Chief you want this wall surface (or portion thereof) to be unique and so the materials will no longer be changed with changes to the wall definition.  This is not a bug or a flaw but rather a feature and is fully intended.  If you want the wall to obey changes to the wall type again, all you have to do is open the wall, click on the material tab, click on the surface you want to change, and check "Use Default".

I understand the various ways of changing it back.  Perhaps "bug" was not the best description.  It is at best an "interesting" choice of program operation.  New users of CA tend to change walls by using the paint tool.  If there is a decision to change ALL the side,  It becomes a lot of extra steps to reset everything back so the wall type will change it for you.  Using the painting tool for exterior materials removes one of the best features of CA imo (changing the siding all at once by changing the definition of the wall type).  Your list is great for showing the various ways of fixing it though.  Thank you.

Thanks to all that offered advice.  Finally fixed the problem: set the "wall top height" to default, and checked the "balloon through ceiling" in the wall specification dialog.  Easy as that, but I can not explain why it now works.  The only other thing I had to do was align the upper and lower pony wall to the inside surface.