No more closed polylines

Timberman

My design-build Timberframe Home business is still using ChiefX1 on XP Pro. It has served me well over the years until a couple weeks ago. A customer from 2007 wants an addition on there home I built. I reopened there file and used there final plan as the base for my new addition plan. When working on exterior timber accents details I discovered that cad lines no longer connect to create closed polylines which I then turn into 3D psolids. When I create a rectangular polyline it is not closed, it is four separate lines and can't be modified. Even arches no longer connect to other polylines. Weirdly the Box tool still works as it should, 4 lines as a closed polyline. I checked the obvious, snap functions, and they are turned on and actually working. Lines will snap to one another but they won't connect. I also checked to make sure each line was being drawn with the same default settings, again functioning ok. The problem must be program wide because it's not just in this one plan. It is in all of my current plans in progress ( which worked fine till a couple weeks ago ) and in new blank plans. Any thoughts as to what I did,what might have happened, and how to fix, short of reinstalling or upgrading?

Sounds like you have "Edit Object Parts" turned on.  You can turn this off in the Edit menu.

In X9, this special mode is called "Connect CAD Segments" and it works a bit differently then it does in X1.

In X3, we added a feature so the program would display a special cursor if you accidently left one of the special modes turned on.

In X8, we added a feature so you could just disconnect a single line of a polyline without having to turn this special mode on and then have to remember to turn it back off.

You are probably going to find quite a bit has changed over the last 8 versions.