flyer1

Export to 3DS Max

Tried for years to export clean to Max. X7 showed promise with 3ds format export but has never worked... not working in x9 either. Tech at Chief does not seem to know how to do it. I have several work arounds that must be imported then exported through several other programs.

What is the best way to get from Chief X9 to #ds Max?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is my favourite way, quoting from another topic in the forum:

These are my steps for exporting to 3D Max:

1-) Export your Chief model in 3ds format. (Done)

2-) Import the 3ds file into 3D Max.

3-) Export the model from 3D Max as a fbx file. (Now we have our Chief model in fbx format.)

4-) Re-import the Chief model in fbx format into 3D Max by using "Link fbx" option. This will allow them to seperate objects by material.

If 3ds export from Chief fails due to vertex limitation, Collada (dae) format also works fine.

Alternatively vrml file format works great, but wrl has two negatives:

1-) This file format, by default, triangulates the surfaces. I hate the model in 3D Max with many triangles.

2-) When you import vrml model into Max, you have to use standard materials for transparent surfaces. You can't assign Vray Material on window glasses for instance.

I do this all the time for rendering....no issues at all, and very easy at Ozgur suggests.

Ozgur, I cant get Max to import a Chief 3ds file... I'll try some of your other work flows and let you know.

Looked at your Vimeo channel.... fun stuff... thx

8 hours ago, flyer1 said:

Ozgur, I cant get Max to import a Chief 3ds file...

This is interesting. How? Is there a warning message from Max?

You could send me your Chief plan if you don't mind. I could check it for you.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    AET-Phil
    Newest Member
    AET-Phil

• By hamedDesighn
      Hi every one , how can i achieve these as shown in pictures below with raytracer render  :

Guys im really waiting for someone answering me please
    • By No1ZZTopfan
      Instead of spending hours searching, I prefer to do this. My apologizes.

I've designed homes in previous versions of CA. All the way back to 4. Well, computer HD crashed a while back and nearly lost everything. After new HD, installation of CA 12 w/bonus materials, its back to normal. However...

When I render anything in any of the 6 houses in version 12 I get this alert window (see pic) telling me it can't find the files on the list. Instead of spending hours replacing each one, I would like to know if there is way to simple delete or restore them back to their default material setting, delete them altogether, anything! I can't seem to do them (delete is dimmed) either for some reason. Thanks in advance.

Using CA 12 with all bonus materials.

• By YoderW
      Hey all,

Is there a way to control what Chief names each material as it's importing a model as a collada (.dae) file?

At my company, we use Chief to build the base model and then export as a collada file to import into Lumion to render. Lumion's latest version has the ability to automatically replace materials with "glass" or "water" in the name with those kinds of materials when importing, but for some reason Chief will randomly assign names to materials during the collada export process like "mat127-material," regardless of what they are named in the material settings. Other export processes will keep the material names, but those have their own problems in Lumion. The 3DS format, for example, is the best alternative, but it changes the scale of the model. 

I can't seem to find anywhere in the preferences to mess with export settings, though. It's nothing that totally breaks our workflow, as it only takes a couple seconds to replace the material, but it would be a nice little quality-of-life feature we could take advantage of if we could get Chief to cooperate.