Export to 3DS Max

flyer1

Tried for years to export clean to Max. X7 showed promise with 3ds format export but has never worked... not working in x9 either. Tech at Chief does not seem to know how to do it. I have several work arounds that must be imported then exported through several other programs.

What is the best way to get from Chief X9 to #ds Max?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is my favourite way, quoting from another topic in the forum:

These are my steps for exporting to 3D Max:

1-) Export your Chief model in 3ds format. (Done)

2-) Import the 3ds file into 3D Max.

3-) Export the model from 3D Max as a fbx file. (Now we have our Chief model in fbx format.)

4-) Re-import the Chief model in fbx format into 3D Max by using "Link fbx" option. This will allow them to seperate objects by material.

If 3ds export from Chief fails due to vertex limitation, Collada (dae) format also works fine.

Alternatively vrml file format works great, but wrl has two negatives:

1-) This file format, by default, triangulates the surfaces. I hate the model in 3D Max with many triangles.

2-) When you import vrml model into Max, you have to use standard materials for transparent surfaces. You can't assign Vray Material on window glasses for instance.

8 hours ago, flyer1 said:

Ozgur, I cant get Max to import a Chief 3ds file...

This is interesting. How? Is there a warning message from Max?

You could send me your Chief plan if you don't mind. I could check it for you.

• 4 years later...

Hello, hoping I can get some help here. It's an old topic but seems to be the closest. I don't have the $$$ for Chief or Interiors, I have Home Designer Professional. I do Interior Design and am just starting out. I'm wanting to work with the interior in 3ds and render- just starting out with that. I've used Home Designer over a decade. I'm trying the new trial so some export functions are grayed out. The have COLLADA Model (DAE), Export 3D model (STL) I put the pic below. Is there a workaround to get the file into 3ds where it will recognize and render the light and textures properly? Thanks for any help! 

Screenshot 2022-02-26 181953.jpg