mslewis620

Converting CAD plan to CA

Have clients who are fed up with their architect and wants to start construction on their house ASAP. There is an odd parking court that essentially you would have to be the best driver in the world to navigate and they have 3 children rapidly approaching the driving age so they realized this is a major mistake. Want to make some modifications to floor plan that will require touching just about everything in the plan set - site, roof, elevations, floor plans, etc. The modifications are not going to take long but the thought of redoing everything that was done in CAD is daunting. 

Any suggestions from the veterans on how best to approach this task? When I use the import feature everything shows up as tiny miniature layouts all over the page. 

You're not going to be able to import the layout (paper space) files into Chief and get what you want. You need the actual CAD files (model space), and even then, it's not really a job for Chief. You will most likely need a 2D CAD program to make this work the way you are envisioning.

I have learned to pass on these types of jobs. I am simply not set up for 2D CAD any longer. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    alexvictory
    Newest Member
    alexvictory

• By capitaldesigns
      I'm new to Chief. I'm using X-8

I am in the process of doing my first project in Chief. I have been using AutoCAD since 1993 and have accumulated hundreds of
      details and notes over these years.

I have a couple of questions.  Is there an easy and quicker way of importing these details and notes over to Chief other than one
      at a time. Question 2, Is it better to insert the details and note directly into the layout sheet or should they be inserted
      into the plan file first, then send them to the layout sheet from the plan file?

The reason I am asking is when I inserted some note directly into the layout sheet from the user catalog the the notes
      came in at least 10 times the normal size. When I inserted that same note into the plan file the note came in at the correct size.

It seems to me that inserting the details and notes directly into the layout sheet would same a lot of time. But it seems that doing
      so you have to deal with the details and notes coming in way to large.

Thanks,

Mike