BlackLabelHQ

Decorative Railing for False Deck

On this plan, I have an upper false porch.  I need to put railing between the posts on the roof overhang. It is not a true deck, so if I use the deck rail tool, it tries to create deck joists which I don't need.  Any ideas?

Putney Porch Re-build.plan

I made a symbol from the 1st floor railing.

post-1284-0-19469400-1469231838_thumb.jpg

This should be posted in Q&A, as Tips & Techniques is for tips and techniques.

Also, please take a minute to fill out your signature with at least the Chief version you are using. A name would be nice too.  Click on your user name at the top right of the page, click My Settings, then Signature on the left.

Thank you Eric.  I've updated my signature.  I have not found a way to change the forum for this post.  

I would treat it just like a room called Balcony using railing walls (post to beam). That way it's included in Schedules and materials list.

Any idea why the first level deck is a generic lumber color when I have the room specification>structure>planks,joists set to a taupe deck plank?  Shouldn't the perspective view of this porch deck and stairs match?

Any idea why the first level deck is a generic lumber color when I have the room specification>structure>planks,joists set to a taupe deck plank?  Shouldn't the perspective view of this porch deck and stairs match?

You need to check "Automatically Regenerate Deck Framing" for that material to show.  The deck surface is a unique surface in Chief as it is treated like a framing layer and must therefore be "framed". 

I would treat it just like a room called Balcony using railing walls (post to beam). That way it's included in Schedules and materials list.

I tried that first, but was unable to get the railing to show. There was a deck room formed, but no visible rail.

Someone please take a look.

I originally created a room using invisible walls to create the space and the roof.

For my purposes, using the symbol to create the rails works.  I only need to create the elevations for this project. 

I tried that first, but was unable to get the railing to show. There was a deck room formed, but no visible rail.

Someone please take a look.

I do those using rooms all the time, must be a balcony room to do it this way. Did you use post to beam with a railing?