PacificGreenHome

docs errata and clarification on panning using trackpad on Mac

As my 3rd post in this forum I'll provide clarification on a documentation issue in the Home Designer Pro 2016 Reference Manual with the hope it will save someone else some time finding the correct answer.

On page 30 under "Using A TrackPad" it states  "In OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), use the click-hold gesture to pan; in 10.9 (Mavericks) and prior, click-hold and two finger panning are supported." Mention of panning using trackpad on Mac wasn't included in the 2015 version of the docs but I think they may have added it to the 2016 docs based on a phone call I placed to support 1.5 years ago on this very issue.

Regarding helping to clarify the docs, I'm not sure on the "click-hold gesture to pan" or "click-hold and two finger panning" in prior Mac OS versions, but, I can state that such approaches don't work with the current Mac OS version, i.e. El Capitan. 

To pan in Home Designer Pro 2016 Mac in El Capitan using a trackpad (and I imagine in other CA products although I haven't tested) one needs to hold down the command key while performing a 3 fingered drag on the trackpad.

As this took me a while to figure out via trial and error I hope someone else benefits from this info.

Bill

P.S. There's some mention of this issue at https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5321-two-finger-panning-busted-in-pro/ as reported by another user although it's unclear what version of the Mac OS he was using when experiencing the broken functionality of two fingered panning.

This would be helpful if posted in the correct forum under Tips & Techniques

"correct forum"? Boy, I see the posting police is in full force around here. Geesh.

Given that another post (https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5321-two-finger-panning-busted-in-pro/ which I referenced above) on the same topic of discrepancies between the docs and the software was not met with the "This would be helpful if posted in the correct forum" response even though said post was also in this very same Q&A forum I guess I'm to conclude that there's some lack of consistency as well as questionable logic demonstrated here by the "posting police". Way to make a new participant feel welcome. Geesh. You're welcome.

Welcome to the forum PGH. Don't take Solver's response

so personally. There is a fairly longstanding issue with Home

Designer product users mistakenly being directed to this

forum which is for Chief Architect Premier users. This is not

to say that you can't benefit from following this forum as

HD Pro has many of the same features as Chief, but in

regards to your specific request, I don't think you will find

many people here with the time or inclination to read the

HD Pro manual or figure out a HD Pro specific issue. Eric

was merely trying to direct you to a forum that is more suited

to responding to your questions.

Thanks Rich for your helpful response. I wasn't aware there was a different forum solely for Home Designer Pro. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll take my HDP posts there. Yes, it is confusing as after multiple searches on multiple topics I kept getting results taking me here to the Chief Talk forum and in reading the forum guidelines for the General Q&A forum it states "The purpose of this forum is to allow users to post questions about and share knowledge about the Chief Architect family of software products." I thought HDP was in the Chief Architect family of products. Anyway, I get it now. Apologies to the forum and to Eric in particular for my comment and its tone. I appreciate helpful tone and content and to be honest was trying to provide some useful content so as not to be perceived as a newbie participant who just takes and doesn't give back. I'll only return to this forum again when and if I upgrade to Premiere. Cheers and thanks again for the clarification. 

Bill

Welcome to the forum PGH. Don't take Solver's response

so personally. There is a fairly longstanding issue with Home

Designer product users mistakenly being directed to this

forum which is for Chief Architect Premier users. This is not

to say that you can't benefit from following this forum as

HD Pro has many of the same features as Chief, but in

regards to your specific request, I don't think you will find

many people here with the time or inclination to read the

HD Pro manual or figure out a HD Pro specific issue. Eric

was merely trying to direct you to a forum that is more suited

to responding to your questions.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    slickrick1530
    Newest Member
    slickrick1530

• By Kbird1
      I don’t use MAC OS myself but many other Users I know do, and I am not sure if this is new in Catalina OS, the latest update ?, but I have had to show People numerous times in the last month or two, how to both turn Scrollbars and the Mouse Right Click Buttons on, some didn't even realize their Mice had a Right Click option.   1.     MAC OS  seems to have its Scrollbars Turned Off by Default, so they aren’t seen in Chief either after Enabling them in View > Scrollbars

Go to > System Preferences > (search) ScrollBar Behaviors at top left > Open > and Set Scrollbars to Always in the 2nd section.

2. MAC OS  also seems to have its Mouse Right Click turned Off by Default too in some cases, so it also can’t be used in Chief ,
      for example in the Project Browser in Plan Views > Open Object or create a New Cad Detail by Clicking On the CAD Details Header,
      or to Edit Page Information in a Layout.

Go to > System Preferences > Mouse > place a Check in the box for Secondary Button by Clicking on it
      ( If desired the Secondary button can be your Left or Right Click eg if you are left handed, choose appropriately ).

Sorry I can't add Pics as I don't have a MAC to take some Screen Snips on.

Mick.
    • By 9atatimer
      I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
      I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
      I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?

• By clarkbreyman
      Working on a very simply model (my first - just a kitchen) in X11 on MBP 13 2018 (16GB ram, Quad i7). I started getting lock ups when using materials and things have progressed to more random lockups opening views and panning. 

The most recent stack trace looks like this at the bottom:

47  qtrender::CAOpenGLWidget::paintGL() + 169 (CAInterior + 19921801) [0x10befdb89]
        47  QMetaObject::activate(QObject*, int, int, void**) + 2320 (QtCore + 2219168) [0x127728ca0]
        47  qtrender::LayeredCanvasGL::paintLayers(bool) + 183 (CAInterior + 19950759) [0x10bf04ca7]
        47  qtrender::LayeredCanvas::paintLayersCore(bool) + 322 (CAInterior + 19941442) [0x10bf02842]
        47  qtrender::CanvasLayer::doPaint(bool) + 76 (CAInterior + 19922860) [0x10befdfac]
        47  qtrender::CanvasLayer::paint(qtrender::PaintTarget&) + 55 (CAInterior + 30269943) [0x10c8dc1f7]
        47  QMetaObject::activate(QObject*, int, int, void**) + 2320 (QtCore + 2219168) [0x127728ca0]
        47  CanvasPaintGLController::paintGL(qtrender::PaintTarget&) + 164 (CAInterior + 7998116) [0x10b39eaa4]
        47  CanvasPaintGLController::paintScene(qtrender::PaintTarget&) + 727 (CAInterior + 7998983) [0x10b39ee07]
        47  qtrender::PaintTarget::Painter::~Painter() + 31 (CAInterior + 19973631) [0x10bf0a5ff]
        47  qtrender::FramebufferPaintTarget::endPaintImpl() + 121 (CAInterior + 19929321) [0x10beff8e9]
        47  render_engine::RenderableMesh::drawImpl(render_engine::GpuResourceContext&, unsigned long) const + 1154 (libCARender.dylib + 1362338) [0x11f50e9a2]
        47  glDrawArrays_GL3Exec + 254 (GLEngine + 696989) [0x7fff3eff729d]
        47  glrIntelRenderVertexArray + 254 (AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver + 58310) [0x7fff2c5323c6]
        47  GenContext::ProgramPipeline() + 16522 (AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver + 76968) [0x7fff2c536ca8]
        47  void updateBindingTable<SGfx3dStateBindingTablePointers>(GenContext*, unsigned int, SGfx3dStateBindingTablePointers&) + 2647 (AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver + 89325) [0x7fff2c539ced]
        43  IOAccelContextAddResource + 8 (IOAccelerator + 9304) [0x7fff58820458]
       *38  hndl_alltraps + 223 (kernel + 928079) [0xffffff80002e294f]
       *29  user_trap + 684 (kernel + 2512220) [0xffffff800046555c]
       *29  exception_triage_thread + 417 (kernel + 1300561) [0xffffff800033d851]
       *24  exception_deliver + 1295 (kernel + 1299935) [0xffffff800033d5df]
       *23  mach_exception_raise + 269 (kernel + 1692381) [0xffffff800039d2dd]
       *16  mach_msg_rpc_from_kernel_body + 268 (kernel + 1320764) [0xffffff800034273c]
       *16  ipc_kmsg_send + 309 (kernel + 1148453) [0xffffff8000318625]
       *13  ipc_kobject_server + 568 (kernel + 1317272) [0xffffff8000341998]
       *13  ??? (kernel + 1693962) [0xffffff800039d90a]
       *7   catch_mach_exception_raise + 103 (kernel + 1614855) [0xffffff800038a407]
       *3   handle_ux_exception + 387 (kernel + 7494691) [0xffffff8000925c23]
       *2   IOLockLock + 33 (kernel + 2480657) [0xffffff800045da11]
      Kitchen1213B.plan
    • By acquavella
      Hello! I'm using X7 Interiors as I specialize in kitchen and bath.  I recently bought a new iMac (specs below) hoping that Chief Architect would work better as it would suddenly quit with errors when I was running it on my 2013 MacBook Pro.  The random quitting still occurs (which is annoying, but that's not my question here); however, ray trace which, ironically, worked on my 2013 MacBook Pro will not even start on my 2017 iMac.  I receive the following error:

/Users/autobuild/p4sync/dev/releases/17/chief/source/raytrace.cpp(619): Error #272032202
      "Unable to open ray tracing engine - ray tracing disabled for this session."
      10/24/2018 10:49:20 PM
      Build: 17.3.2.2OSX

I've already tried their suggestions... I made a simple plan and it still came up with the error.  Then I checked for updates in both Chief Architect and my system and they are up-to-date.

I plan on upgrading in December to the newest Chief Architect assuming these problems will go away... but I'm scared that they won't.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Chief Architect Interiors X7
      Build: 17.3.2.2OSX

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
      3.6 GHz Intel Core i7
      Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
      Video: Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB
    • By usingchief
      I am contemplating purchasing a new MacBook pro.  Currently I have a mid-2014 version, 2.5 GHZ, Core i7,... now running Mojave OS, have 16GB Memory / Graphics card: 750M/2048MB.  Sometime CA runs SO SLOW especially when opening up the library.   Any advice from Mac people who use CA on their MacBook pro would be appreciated. ;-)