Missing subfloor and deck framing

nicknz

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Anyone know why my deck framing and subfloor disappears in camera view if I turn off the foundation layer, even though the foundation layer in the camera layer set shows  that it is not used. (no the subfloor an deck framing are not on the foundation layer). Drives me nuts this stuff – I spend nearly as much time trying to figure stuff out as I do drawing some days.

......and why does one wall show as being on the layer ‘walls normal” but when I grab two they show as being on layer 'CAD, Default'

post-171-0-00687200-1399191655_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-54127800-1399191723_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-11200400-1399191811_thumb.jpg

• Solution

The foundation doesn't display when you turn that layer off because that layer controls all the objects that make up the foundation like foundation walls, footings, framing, etc.

It's just a quick way to turn off the display of all the foundation in one go.

You can still control the display of the individual foundation items if needed on an individual basis..

ie, you can turn off just the Walls, Foundation layer, or the Framing, Rim Joists layer if you want. 

What makes you think that when you select 2 walls, they are on the CAD, Default layer - because it says CAD Layer: CAD, Default in the status bar?

This is not indicating that the walls are on the  CAD, Default layer.

That is indicating that the current cad layer is the CAD, Default layer. 

It displays like that when you select 2 or more items.

The best way to quickly see what layers are being used by an object or objects is to select them and then use the Object Layer Properties on the Edit toolbar. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks Glenn - I've been playing with this for years and all of a sudden in the heat of the moment I had no below floor levels. Obviously I checked to see what layer was turned off not knowing that the foundation layer chopped the lot off...learn something new every day. Gotcha on the CAD, Layer.. it probably helps if I slow down and try not to work this stuff out in the heat of battle....