HaywardVT

Can't Create Attic Truss, No Flat Ceiling Or Floor Platform Error Msg

I'm trying to do an experiment to figure something else out and I can't even create an attic truss. It says I don't have either a flat ceiling or a floor platform but I have both. I've created attic trusses across 30' with an 8:12 slope before, I don't know what I did different this time. The plan I'm attaching is after I changed some things from the default settings, like ceiling height, in order to get a more flat ceiling.

truss experiment.plan

Weird. I couldn't get it to work either. I even tried drawing a new plan and didn't work there again. I have done these several times before without issue. 

I cannot explain why,  but if you open your plan and DROP THE ROOF PLANES down 12",  you should be able to get your attic truss. 

post-50-0-08098900-1449414745_thumb.png

BTW,  I understand this is not what you want,  the point is I do not think you are doing anything wrong,  but it must be something within CA that has some restrictions on the height at end of the truss.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Burtonmadness
    Newest Member
    Burtonmadness

• By ChiefuserMathews
      Hello, is there a way to display the ceiling elevation (height) on plan view, as we typically show them on architectural drawings?
    • By ChiefuserMathews
      Hello, Is it possible to create a ceiling assembly schedule in CA? I could not find one, nor an option to assign to a custom schedule. Any tips?
    • By Designer100
      can anyone explain how and help me enclose between this new gable roof and ceiling. Also looking toward house thru gable closing in with Hardi-siding. The old roof is showing thru and something else when I do a rendering (see attached). Need to look good for a client in 3 D. They are adding a roof over existing 10' x 20' patio. 

thank you if you can help.

Newell Cheatheam
      CA 12
      newell@newellcheatheam.com 

Patio Remodeling.plan
    • By 1090291004350551
      Hello everyone,
      In my current project, a client asks for a groin vault, something like that. 
      I've looked through the forum but I can't find anything about this.

How is it possible to do with Chief? 
       I would be very grateful for a video.

Thanks in advance 

• By RichM1
      Summary: We're creating a vaulted tray ceiling in a house that started as a double-wide mobile home. I want to model the existing "trusses" so that I can figure out how to do the rafters to frame out the new ceiling. I cannot figure out how to do this though. 

Details: 
      This house started out as a double-wide mobile home. It's been remodeled several times, huge portions added, walls rebuilt in places, rooms moved, walls removed. But the roof structure through the middle of the house is a 2.5/12 pitch, framed as follows: 2x2 rafter, 2x2 joist, 16" OC, with 12" pieces of 1/4" paneling used as gussets every 12". The tall wall has 1/2" plywood as a ridge beam.  I attached a drawing that shows each side. 

I tried changing the rafter and joist settings to 1.5" x 1.5", but it insists on building roof framing with 6" rafters floating above the walls, and framing the tall wall with studs that are in the room wall below. 

I tried to manually draw the framing in like the CAD detail drawing I attached, but I can't figure out how to rotate the 2x2 rafter to the 2.5/12 pitch angle. I figured I'd draw one "truss" manually, and then replicate/copy it across every 16". But after about 6 hours (admittedly I'm new to this app) I still couldn't figure it out. 

I put both sides together, and added the 2x6 rafters and 2x4 cross brace. Then we plan to cut the trusses back flush with the rafters and brace. The wall will be coming out of the middle. There's no code here, unincorporated county, so no building inspection to send this through.

Is there a way I can take this CAD drawing and use it for the actual rafters - extrude the 2D shapes into 3D?