Sign in to follow this  
Paul7707

Need architect/designer/drawings quote and/or advice

I own this 1.5 story house built in the 50's and want to remodel the interior. I already have a local structural engineer on-board and all I need to do is provide him drawings on what remodeling I want to do. I think I'm close but bought Suite 2016 to help visualize in 3D.

I invite anyone to take a crack at a new layout for this house. What is important to us is..

• Nice master suite with master bath and large shower
  • Big kitchen

Due to the sloped ceilings on the second floor, I do not see a whole lot of alternatives for stair location and hence layout but ya never know what someone else might come up with.

Other than that, I would like quotes on cleaning up what i have and providing me prints to be used by the engineer. There is only so far i can go with the Suite version.

Things of note...

• The exterior walls are all double course brick with plaster on the interior side.
  • The half wall height at the eave ends of the second floor are 50".
  • The roof pitch is 6/12 throughout.
  • Half of the crawlspace was dug out to make a basement, I will be digging out the other half to make a full basement. Currently access to the basement is through the original attached garage, new steps will be needed from the living area so that the current steps can be filled in to be brought level with the rest of the floor in the garage (future kitchen).
  • The original dormer on the south side will be raised to allow standing height and possibly a door instead of a window. This will be one of the last things done.
  • The new master bath will need a dormer to make it work. A 4/12 pitch on the dormer roof would be ok if necessary.
  • The new kitchen (old garage) has vaulted ceilings.
  • All floor joists are 7.25 x 1.5" on 16" centers.
  • Rafters are 7.25 x 1.5" on 24" centers, collar ties are 93" above the floor

Forgive the .plan files... I bought this software 3 days ago and am still learning my way around.

Attached

1. 7707.plan This is what the house is now (yes the stairs are that steep).
  2. 7707B.plan This is as far as i could get with what I want. Sloped ceilings and dormers are being difficult for me.
  3. New2nd.png and new2nd2.png are from another program but shows the 2nd floor layout better.

Thanks,

Paul7707.plan7707B.planpost-8435-0-35609300-1446747569_thumb.pngpost-8435-0-69549900-1446747332_thumb.png

I would love to help.

Been Using Chief for many years ( Beta tester for X6, X7 ) to create full construction plan sets, 3D renderings and video walk-throughs, and residential construction cost estimating.

Here are a few samples ....

Thank you,

Bob Shofner

305-922-2919  --  office

rmsdesigngroup@gmail.com

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    qmeilhon
    Newest Member
    qmeilhon

• By SpeleoWorm
      I am a new CA Premier X12 user and would like someone to review my plan & layout files for a new construction residential duplex that will be located in Bethlehem, CT (see rough draft).  I am looking for feedback regarding my use of Chief Architect as well as any architectural, structural/engineering and/or building feedback such as:

changes to make the CA plan more efficient, reusable, maintainable, etc. changes needed to meet code requirements changes that can save money or be more cost effective to build changes that might be more aesthetically pleasing to a buyer changes that will make the plans clearer/easier to read/understand for the builder, lumber yard and/or building inspector feedback on material choices (zip system or Tyvek, roof trusses or not, floor trusses or I joists, batts or foam insulation, vinyl/wood/hardie siding, etc.) any wisdom that might help me avoid long delays, bad contractor experiences, problems with the town/state/health dept., etc.  
      I don't expect you to be an expert in all 4 areas (CA, architecture, engineering & building), so if you are only able to help with one of those areas I would still be happy to consider you for just the piece that you have experience with.  If you are interested please send me a personal message with information on how you would be able to help and what your rates are.
    • By DCB123
      Hello, my name is Doug, as I am a Chief Arch’l Cad Designer, looking to help other contractors, builders and Chief users with their residential projects, 3D models, plans, walkthroughs, photo realistic renderings in Chief Architect & Lumion softwares.
      I have a well established portfolio of the houses that I’ve done, renders in lumion 
      and other references as well.
      I would love to discuss your next design project with you, and even do a free online meeting, for us to get better aquanted with your Project. My professional rates are reasonable, depending on the size of the project, and the scope of the work, but I normally take payment on PayPal, and block out prepayment, for lesser amounts of time, or discuss, working on larger projects on contract basis. Pls, reach out to me, so, that we can discuss things further?

Douglas Burgmann
      Chief Architect Designer III
      Accurate Asbuilts & Design
      Email: douglasburgmann@gmail.com
      cell:     (970)987-4476 msg
      Web:   http://www.dcbcaddesigns.com
      FB: dcb1234

• By RichM1
      Summary: We're creating a vaulted tray ceiling in a house that started as a double-wide mobile home. I want to model the existing "trusses" so that I can figure out how to do the rafters to frame out the new ceiling. I cannot figure out how to do this though. 

Details: 
      This house started out as a double-wide mobile home. It's been remodeled several times, huge portions added, walls rebuilt in places, rooms moved, walls removed. But the roof structure through the middle of the house is a 2.5/12 pitch, framed as follows: 2x2 rafter, 2x2 joist, 16" OC, with 12" pieces of 1/4" paneling used as gussets every 12". The tall wall has 1/2" plywood as a ridge beam.  I attached a drawing that shows each side. 

I tried changing the rafter and joist settings to 1.5" x 1.5", but it insists on building roof framing with 6" rafters floating above the walls, and framing the tall wall with studs that are in the room wall below. 

I tried to manually draw the framing in like the CAD detail drawing I attached, but I can't figure out how to rotate the 2x2 rafter to the 2.5/12 pitch angle. I figured I'd draw one "truss" manually, and then replicate/copy it across every 16". But after about 6 hours (admittedly I'm new to this app) I still couldn't figure it out. 

I put both sides together, and added the 2x6 rafters and 2x4 cross brace. Then we plan to cut the trusses back flush with the rafters and brace. The wall will be coming out of the middle. There's no code here, unincorporated county, so no building inspection to send this through.

Is there a way I can take this CAD drawing and use it for the actual rafters - extrude the 2D shapes into 3D? 

• By 10HULZN
      Design/Build Remodeling company based in Bellevue, WA seeking creative and disciplined architectural designer to work in fun and collaborative company culture.

Requirements:
      Experience with Chief Architect design software Architectural design certificate or better 5+ years architectural design experience Residential permitting process experience Ability to work with others  
      Duties:
      Research lot setbacks, IRC code requirements and/or restrictions that need to be incorporated into plans. Supply energy calculations, engineering or additional drawings to building departments as required. Create a set of construction drawings, which will be referenced throughout the permitting and construction phases with details sufficient to build from and all structural elements resolved including electrical and HVAC. Detail interior and exterior aesthetics, mechanical systems, etc. as requested. Manage permit submittal, corrections and issuance.
    • By Chrisdutch89
      It seems as if the windows I drew in plan aren't showing up on the elevations.  How did that happen?

A-1 - 3.16.20 screwed up.pdf