Import topo survey/terrain question

Lighthouse

Delete the terrain perimeter on your plan with the house on it.

Then, open the plan that I saved here, and select the "All Off" layerset.

Then turn on the terrain perimeter, and the countours (because someone doesn't know how to spell CONTOURS) layers.

Highlight everything, and copy; switch to the plan with the house on it and paste.

Your terrain perimeter that you paste will only be a polyline, so you'll have to convert it back to a plain polyline (using the magic wand with black trapezoid down below), then convert it to a terrain perimeter (using the magic wand again, only this time the trapezoid will be orangey-yellow).

Click ok through all of the DBX's, and it should work.

I did all that, and got as far as imported the terrain perimeter and contours.  However, the contours don't really fit in the perimeter, which seems odd.  Also, the perimeter seems to be a different size that the one in the survey.  Was this just a temp perimeter that you created?  I have attached the real architectural plan, with your TP and contours on left, the house plan in middle, and a copy of the survey on the right.  Could you position the new terrain onto the house plan?  I'm happy to pay for this, if it is turning into a pain for you.  thx

philip final with smooth siding.zip

Jonathan's Terrain Perimeter was auto-generated when he imported the dwg and assigned the CONTOUR layer to be treated as elevation data.

Did you try my method (post #24) to import Jonathan's terrain? It's a pretty straightforward method, and you could be done by now.

Jonathan's Terrain Perimeter was auto-generated when he imported the dwg and assigned the CONTOUR layer to be treated as elevation data.

Did you try my method (post #24) to import Jonathan's terrain? It's a pretty straightforward method, and you could be done by now.

I did try it, however when I inserted the new terrain perimeter into my new plan it was a tiny 2" square.  So I'm wondering if it didn't come in at the right scale, or didn't copy correctly, or ...

Looking into it a little further....

You need to block all of the elevation lines and the terrain perimeter.  Then you can add the block to your library browser.

From there you can drop it into the new plan, but you still need to convert it to a plain polyline, and back into terrain perimeter.

I'm sure there's something I'm missing...

I will retract my method. I tried it again and it didn't work. Then I tried it again and it did work. Then I tried it again and it didn't work...and I can't figure out what I'm doing that is working or not. Either way, I'd go with Jonathan's method. I apologize for pointing you down a blind alley.

thanks to all.  I finally got it to work by simply copying the contours and pasting them (unblocked, as they refused to block) into the new plan, without the terrain perimeter, which I created in the new plan.  The positioning was insanely hard, but that's another story.  Now, if I could just figure out how to raise my curved retaining wall....