Sign in to follow this  
chiefmikesdhda

3d Export question

Ive looked everywhere for an answer to this question but have been unable to find a clear solution.

When in a 3d view I do not have the option to export to anything but DXF or picture files.....no OBJ or 3DS export option appears.impor

This is using Chief X5

Importing DXF files to sketch-up does not work well so I was hoping to start using 3DS.

I don't think you can export to .obj but .3ds should be available.  You must be doing something wrong.  I think we are going to need another hint.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cbling
    Newest Member
    cbling

• By YoderW
      Hey all,

Is there a way to control what Chief names each material as it's importing a model as a collada (.dae) file?

At my company, we use Chief to build the base model and then export as a collada file to import into Lumion to render. Lumion's latest version has the ability to automatically replace materials with "glass" or "water" in the name with those kinds of materials when importing, but for some reason Chief will randomly assign names to materials during the collada export process like "mat127-material," regardless of what they are named in the material settings. Other export processes will keep the material names, but those have their own problems in Lumion. The 3DS format, for example, is the best alternative, but it changes the scale of the model. 

I can't seem to find anywhere in the preferences to mess with export settings, though. It's nothing that totally breaks our workflow, as it only takes a couple seconds to replace the material, but it would be a nice little quality-of-life feature we could take advantage of if we could get Chief to cooperate. 
    • By OnlineBuilder
      Im exporting my CA models to DAE, then converting them on Autodesk FBX converter on a Windows laptop. For some reason, the odd plan does not convert saying "not enough parameters". Its a pain because I can't start them again. 

I did some Googling and one solution was to convert the CA file to an obj, which you can't (Strange). 

Does anyone know why it is doing this? Is there another converter that works? 
    • By cascadepixels
      How can I get a high resolution bitmap image of a plan? Preferably PNG? 

I have tried clicking the little arrow at the top and selecting Save Image, but this produces what looks to be a very low quality screenshot, which is useless for my purposes as it does not even include the whole plan, or if I reduce the plan size to fit then labels are illegible.

• By ComputerMaster86
      Is there an option to export an individual folder as opposed exporting the whole entire user library?
    • By MikeDupuis
      I am using X9 and having been exporting floor plans into Autocad for various purposes.
      I would like to be able to set the layer that the wall lines will be on once exported.
      At the moment they go onto separate layers for each wall type and layer of that wall.
      I would like to have all the framing for all wall types on one layer, drywall on another, etc