How To Make Roof Plane Follow Curvature Of Wall

jessde

X7 little experience

I' m trying to build a shed roof overhanging a curved wall below and following the curvature..The curvature being  wall to adjacent  wall rather than plate to plate . I hope that is a clear description. I tried using break lines but could not really get a nice curve after spending way to much time. My next thought was to make a polyline solid to attach to the roof plane which worked fine in plan view but can't find a way to have it follow the pitch in an elevation. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is one of those situations where it helps to post a plan or picture.

Do the attached screenshots show what your trying to to?

One method is very easy, it involves polyline subtraction; but there is an extra step that not intuitively obvious.

post-62-0-39857300-1430020427_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-59211500-1430020439_thumb.jpg

Ok, so here's how to do it.

Draw a polyline box overlapping the roof plane; use the line to curve tool to create a curve.  adjust the curve to follow the arc of your wall.  Then use the "convert arc to polyline" tool, specifying the number of segments you want ( I chose 15 to give a fairly smooth look).  Then use the polyline subtraction tool to create the arc in the roof plane.

Yes exactly. I tried to send a view but it wouldn't post. Something else for me to learn.

you probably didn't hit the ATTACH button after choosing the pic to upload but here is a post of mine about how to attach pics and plans

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/221-how-to-take-pics-of-your-plan-to-post-here/?hl=pics

Hi Jessde,

I'm glad that worked out fairly easily.

One would initially think that your question was a simple one.  But, the solution to curving the roof plane is nowhere in the documentation for the software, or in any of the video tutorials.  I figured out how to do this several years ago and posted it to the old forum.  And if you were able to query the old forum, you would have found the answer.  Sadly that resource is no longer available.

Hang in there, the first few months are the hardest.  I remember the first time that I asked for help on the forum.  I was having difficulty making things work through the usual means, so I asked for help.  The answer I got was to make a symbol to get the job done.  I had no idea what a symbol was, let alone how to make one.  Somehow I muddled through, but didn't ask another question for a long time.

Keep trying, and keep asking questions.